PDA

View Full Version : Simple wine rack

Jay Jolliffe
07-17-2014, 5:58 AM
It's made from SYP (southern yellow pine). All half lap joints except for the top & bottom brackets that are screwed to the shelf above & below. It's 60''x 30'' & holds 60 bottles....293198

Jim Matthews
07-17-2014, 7:17 AM
Any project that reaches completion is to be admired.

My current project seems to approach the theoretical limit,
but never quite reaches there.

Kudos

Sam Murdoch
07-17-2014, 8:14 AM
So do you hang the wire off those bottle thingies? :D

Just funning' with ya. Looks great - I would like such a thing in my house.

Jamie Buxton
07-17-2014, 9:54 AM
Question...

Wine storage in homes often suspend the bottles in racks like that. Bottles get individual cradles, and lots of air around them. In contrast, wine storage/display in stores almost always uses simple shelves. Shelves are easier and less expensive to build, and are easier to load and unload. So why go with racks?

Jay Jolliffe
07-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Well Jamie the people wanted to get the bottles out of the boxes. So the first design which was theirs was to be wide boards on the diagonal making big x's. I did some Shoji doors that had the grid design & so I showed them a practice grid & they liked so I went with that.

Shawn Pixley
07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
You know I could fix up and remove the need for those bulky bottles that hold the wire. I'd even remove the bottles so Jay didn't have to. Just sayin...

Jay Jolliffe
07-17-2014, 3:59 PM
That's a long way to come Shawn for a few bottle's of wine..I don't own the wine. I made this for someone else...He might not like you guzzling all the wine.:D

Jay Jolliffe
07-17-2014, 5:21 PM
Couldn't understand why Sam was talking about wires. Now I see....The heading should say Simple wine rack....My screw up.....Sorry....I tried the edit part & it won't let me edit the heading....If someone else wants to do it that has the power feel free.....

Pat Barry
07-17-2014, 7:24 PM
It was a good idea to add those extra supports on the bottom. That rack could get awful heavy. Nice work!

Bruce Page
07-17-2014, 7:30 PM
Jay, you can edit the title if you go to: Edit Post > Go Advanced.

Jamie Buxton
07-17-2014, 8:05 PM
Well Jamie the people wanted to get the bottles out of the boxes. So the first design which was theirs was to be wide boards on the diagonal making big x's. I did some Shoji doors that had the grid design & so I showed them a practice grid & they liked so I went with that.

Yeah, "because the owner said so" is a complete answer. But I've wondered about this issue for years. Why is it that homeowners want this style of storage? I'm not a wine guy, but I can't think of a functional reason for it.

Yonak Hawkins
07-18-2014, 12:07 AM
That's a long way to come Shawn for a few bottle's of wine..I don't own the wine. I made this for someone else...He might not like you guzzling all the wine.:D

Jay, it's a simple mistake to misspell a word in your thread title, but Shawn may not take as kindly to how you characterized his relationship with wine. Surely you meant the "g" to be an "n".

Jay Jolliffe
07-18-2014, 5:33 AM
Those pesky fingers don't always communicate with the brain...Finding that is happening more than I like.

Jim Matthews
07-18-2014, 8:00 AM
Wine stored for any length of time (more than three months) should be horizontal,
so that the cork stays wet and oxygen can't infiltrate.

Wine that is exposed to air "breathes" and can become "skunked" if stored in a corked bottle, upright.

Wine in polyethylene bags will stay fresh indefinitely, but is not accepted by wine enthusiasts drawn to tradition.
Screw top caps are a significant improvement over traditional corks, as are the foam corks currently in use.

http://blog.vintagecellars.com/2010/04/why-you-should-store-wine-on-its-side/
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/02/259128689/cork-versus-screw-cap-dont-judge-a-wine-by-how-its-sealed

For a casual wine drinker, like me, it doesn't matter at all.
No one bottle will be in my house more than a week.

Jamie Buxton
07-18-2014, 9:38 AM
..Wine stored for any length of time (more than three months) should be horizontal,
so that the cork stays wet and oxygen can't infiltrate...

Yeah, I understand that part. But horizontality can happen on ordinary shelves, and they are fast to build. It doesn't require those elaborate grid racks.

Jay Jolliffe
07-18-2014, 10:19 AM
I know it's more work & cost more to do the grids but looks a lot nicer than bottles stacked on top of each other with glass to glass. More chance of them breaking if someone is not careful. Jamie your in the business. If the customer wants something you try to do your best to give them what they want. That's within reason also...Sometimes you just can't please everyone & some have Ideas that are just not doable.

Mark W Pugh
08-06-2014, 7:05 PM
You should offer your services to him again and build shutters for those windows. Needs to keep the light off of wine.

Peter Quinn
08-22-2014, 9:19 PM
Looks great. Not sure about the shelf vrs racking argument. There is a place for both in the world. I see the old X box as bulk storage. Open a case of the same type of wine, throw it in one section of the grid..Bob's your uncle...big ole pile of wine stored. But what if you had 60 bottles, mix of whites and reds, some dry rose (because white zin is best stored in your fridge!). Throw it on a X shelf, now you have to move every bottle....and if its fine wine move is code world for disturb more than necessary....yes you may have to move every bottle to get the one on the bottom. Not great. In a racking system each precious gem gets its own cubby. You want that perfectly aged cabernet....take it, temper it, decant it...enjoy! All without disturbing or moving every other bottle around it. Or if you buy wine at auction but the case, the X box might be a great place to store the whole case while it ages to perfection,,,then as you drink it, buy more, perhaps the last 3-4 get moved to racking to make room for new arrivals. So there is a very logical argument for both types of storage in a wine cellar. Or it could just be strictly aesthetics which is too subjective to consider. I rarely buy a case of anything and generally have about 20-40 bottles in a simple racking system, I prefer just what Jay has made.

Jay Jolliffe
08-23-2014, 6:24 AM
Thanks Peter. The owner did start out with wanting the big x's for storage but showed him the grid I made for some Shoji doors I made & he liked that better. Why move a bunch of bottles to get at one....They can also see what it is through the grid....