PDA

View Full Version : S-K Mechanic's tools

Moses Yoder
07-16-2014, 7:35 PM
My father had a small socket set while he was living, in a blue metal box. Some 1/4" drive and some 3/8" drive stuff. I always liked this set for some reason and purchased it at our children's auction. I have been sorting through it and figuring out what is missing. I noticed it is S-K brand, a company I had never heard of. I am fascinated by what I am finding. This is the company that invented the modern round head ratchet; they have their own Wikipedia page. Opening in the early 1900's they are still in business today; Grainger is one of their distributors. I would classify their tools as better than Craftsman; I do not have the tools to compare them to Snap-On. I would suggest if you are looking for a socket set to look into S-K.

George Bokros
07-16-2014, 7:41 PM
S-K tools are good quality. I am not sure if they are up to Snap-On or Mac but definitely very good quality.

George

Pat Barry
07-16-2014, 7:44 PM
I bought a set of SK sockets in the 70's. They held up really well. Much better tool than Craftsman. My only regret is that I have lost several of them

Tom M King
07-16-2014, 7:51 PM
Most nonbigchain auto parts stores carry them, and a lot of professional mechanics-mostly the older guys-use them.

Larry Frank
07-16-2014, 8:03 PM
I have a set of 3/8" SK sockets and wrenches. They have served me well. I managed to break one of the wrenches and SK replaced it for free.

They are good tools but not up to the Snap On level.

Shawn Pixley
07-17-2014, 1:38 AM
I have my grandfather's SK Socket set from the sixties. It is very high quality, they would replace a part if it ever failed. We have never broken a one but I have broken a couple of Craftsman ratchets and sockets.

Jay Jolliffe
07-17-2014, 4:57 AM
I have a set of 1/2'' SK Wayne sockets & never had a probulm with them...here's a little history of the SK company.....http://junkyardtools.com/tool_history/sk_tools

Richard N Elliott
07-17-2014, 7:37 AM
...-mostly the older guys-use them.

I have my grandfather's SK Socket set from the sixties...

You guys sure know how to hurt a feller! When I was a lad, working in a garage, in the (very) early 60's, and trying to fill up my tool chest, my boss would only let me buy SK's!

Joe Tilson
07-17-2014, 8:50 AM
We are not older Richard, we are better. I have a set of older Craftsman hand tools, which are pretty good. I do like my SK's though.
Joe

Bruce Darrow
07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I just bought a set of Craftsman 6 pt metric 3/8 drive sockets because my old JC Whitney 12 pt 15 mm socket was wanting to round off a stubborn bolt. The 15 mm Craftsman IMMEDIATELY broke :mad: . Went to Sears because my other sets are Craftsman and have given excellent service over the years. I'll not buy Craftsman again - the pain of getting that bolt out subsequent to the breakage had me fit to be tied. The set went back to Sears for a full refund, and I'll be looking for SK or equivalent the next time I need to upgrade those old Whitney metrics. Thanks for the post.

Cody Kemble
07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
I have a socket set and a set of their ratcheting wrenches. The wrenches are fantastic for tight spaces.

ray hampton
07-17-2014, 1:17 PM
We are not older Richard, we are better. I have a set of older Craftsman hand tools, which are pretty good. I do like my SK's though.
Joe

HOW do you know that you are better OR DID you intend to say batty

Moses Yoder
07-17-2014, 5:53 PM
I got money from somewhere and have been completing my dad's set. Mainly the 3/8" ratchet. Ebay is good for something. Bought a couple other pieces as well, deciding that with the cost of the 1/4 ratchet I was just going to get an adapter for 3/8 to 1/4, probably won't use it much anyway. Missing two sockets. I have the screwdriver handle for the 1/4, just not the ratchet; we never had a 1/4 ratchet when I was growing up, I think my dad had one later. I will probably add parts to it later, pictures when the stuff gets here. I find I actually prefer buy it now on ebay, can usually find it for the same price or maybe a little more without the hassle of an auction. Most auctions end late at night and I get up at 3:45 am so late nights are non-existent for me.

Rich Riddle
07-17-2014, 6:02 PM
I own quite a few sets of SK tools including wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. They have definite lines of differing qualities. The quality of the SK metric set of wrenches in the cabinet far exceeds the quality of the SK SAE set in the same cabinet. That said, even the entry line of S K exceed the Craftsman tools from the same era. I intentionally look for SK tools when at auctions these days. You can't go wrong with them.

Joe Tilson
07-17-2014, 8:48 PM
Ray, You have a point there. Batty and fatty.;)

Jim Laumann
07-18-2014, 1:25 PM
I have a 1/4" and 3/8" set of SK's I bought in the early 70's. Picked up a 1/2" set of SK's in the early '80s (sockets only - old style '50s vintage thin wall style) at an auction. These are all SAE (fraction). Bought Craftsman 1/4 & 3/8 metric socket sets in the late '80s.

My step dad was a professional mechanic in the 60-70s - he only used SK - sadly all his tools were stolen before I could lay my hands on them.

Of all the sockets I own, the only one which has broke was the 1/2" 13/16, which broke when I used it w/ a breaker bar to change a tire. The first SK dealer (hardware store) refused to replace it w/o a purchase rect from the store. The 2nd place (an autoparts store) replaced it - no questions asked.

BOB OLINGER
07-18-2014, 1:56 PM
I have a set of 1/4" ratchet/sockets in a little green metal box my dad bought me for Christmas in middle '70's. This is a great set and I watch them closely so not to loose any parts.

Fred Perreault
07-19-2014, 2:28 PM
In the early 1960's when I was a young teen, I bought my late dad a set of S-K Wayne open end/box end wrenches. It was a set from 1/4" through 1and 1/4" inch in a canvas tote pouch. My dad was in the heavy construction business, and he had a lot of tools, but this set is still complete and used nearly every day. It has a few nicks and blems but has never failed, and I can remember buying it for him for Christmas for $14.95 from a local hardware store. I don't believe that S-K wayne lasted long as it got bought out in a few years.