PDA

View Full Version : ARRGGH!! My stupid bad luck with lenses-

Kev Williams
07-16-2014, 5:44 PM
-- continues...

As I recently noted, I busted 2 lenses by dropping them. So I've been really really really careful lately.

So the other day, before my xformer blew out, I fired up the machine to cut some cardboard for shipping. I hit the start button, and the laser looked like a flamethrower! I've had flames shoot UP from what I'm cutting, but never DOWN out of the lens! I hit the pause button about 2 seconds later, and a stupid miller flew out of the lens housing! How he even survived to fly out at all amazed me--

I restarted, cut my cardboard, no problem. Then later I cut a batch of nameplates. Then yesterday I did tests after doing my 220v re-wiring job.

So I'm needing to change the lens housing for a different job, and when I pull out the one I've been using, I find this:

This is the flat side of the lens. The oval shape and other 'markings' where charred black on the lens when I pulled it out. The lens cut out the sheet of name badges like that, but it did seem the power was down, guess that's understandable. I cleaned the charcoal off afterwards...

If things come in three's, then maybe I'm done busting lenses, since this is the third one. It's one thing for me to drop the things and break them, but to have fried moth butt do it, well--- That's just more of Murphy's Law at work.

At least I did buy a spare... :)

David Somers
07-16-2014, 5:51 PM
Ohhhh Kev! I am sorry to hear this. For what it is worth, I have been working the last few days with a number of computer users whose karmic chickens have come home to roost, if you will pardon the mixed metaphysical metaphors! (would that be a metaphysiphor?)

A moth in your laser? Sheesh! Here's to the "Good things Come In Threes" theory!

Dave

Dan Hintz
07-16-2014, 7:58 PM
You should create a tiny trophy case to house all of your destroyed lenses. Make it out of acrylic... when you get a new lens in, that is ;)

Jerome Stanek
07-16-2014, 8:09 PM
You should create a tiny trophy case to house all of your destroyed lenses. Make it out of acrylic... when you get a new lens in, that is ;)

Dan with his luck the lens would shatter just as he finishes the case

Mitchell Tutty
07-16-2014, 8:13 PM
I'd just about have to build another shed if I was to house all of my broken router bits. But thankfully, no broken lenses. Touch wood.

Dee Gallo
07-16-2014, 9:46 PM
Jeez Kev, time for a vacation? Hope you are done with the run of bad luck!

Mike Troncalli
07-17-2014, 8:08 AM
I've heard of buggy software and even buggy hardware.. but I think you just took that to a new level...

BUT... On the moth's side... Imagine.. He and some friends are sitting around the table with some fermented pollen mead.. And the first moth says.. I flew into a 100w light bulb and survived.. The second one says "heh.. That's nothing.. I flew into a 1000w spotlight.. And he said. . . . . .:-)

Glen Monaghan
07-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Yeah, one day people may be repeating stories about Kev and his moth the same way they repeat the story of Grace Hopper and the first reported computer "bug"...