PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane CBN Wheels

Jerry Rhoads
07-16-2014, 9:53 AM
Hello All

Does anyone have experience with the Hurricane CBN Wheels?
I am interested in getting a 180 grit 1-1/2" flat edge wheel.

I would also like to know how other CBN wheel owners like theirs, and if anyone has tested several brands. Getting to be a lot out there
On the ones that have radiused edges, what is the width of the flat area?

Are any made in the USA?

Thanks in advance
Jerry

Reed Gray
07-16-2014, 11:06 AM
None of the CBN wheels are made in the USA. I took in the wheels I have (D Way) which are the standard electroplated type, to the place that made my original matrix wheels (3/16 inch of abrasive and medium to hold the grit, and then bonded to an aluminum hub), and they commented that the process was similar to galvanizing, but there was no place in the US that did that. I have not tried or even seen the Hurricane wheels, so can't comment on them. I have used the D Way, Optigrind (makers of the 'Raptor' wheel that Craft Supplies sells), and the Cuttermaster out of Canada. For the same grits, I couldn't tell any cutting difference at all. All work fine. This wheel is a HUGE improvement over the standard wheels.

robo hippy

Joe Shanaphy
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
You may want to look at Wood Turners Wonders. They have a two wheel set (80 & 180) for $262.40 including shipping ... or either one for $162.40.

Jerry Rhoads
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Thank you Reed.
I thought that I had heard there were none made in the US. Thanks for confirming
I have heard some about D-Way and Woodturners Wonders wheels.
Dave's requires a bushing (don't really like the idea of a bushing, but might be handy if ever I had a different size grinder. And I think that Ken only gets them with a radius edge

Jerry

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
The bushing is the best way to go. I wouldn't buy a wheel without a bushing. If your shaft is slightly under sized or over sized you only have to have a bushing machined to fit. Dave has an assortment and can probably set you up with a bushing that is pretty darn close to your needs.

faust

Jeff Gilfor
07-16-2014, 1:27 PM
I purchased one, and had to return it. The thing did not run true. It was to replace a D-way wheel that was damaged during a shop move. The old wheel ran stable and vibration-free. No matter what I did, there was an unacceptable vibration in the Hurricane wheel. I called and informed Steve of the issue. Ordered a new D-way, and had no problem with that new wheel.

Reed Gray
07-16-2014, 4:02 PM
Dave at D Way was the first to have a radius edge wheel, and he made it for Dave Ellsworth. I can not imagine a grinding wheel without a bushing, unless they drill the center out specifically for your grinder shaft. I use a Baldor grinder which has a 3/4 inch shaft, which needs a different opening than the standard 5/8 or 1/2 inch grinder shafts. I did get a Cuttermaster, and the wheel was drilled out for my grinder, and with a Baldor, you probably get the best made grinder in the Country, so the sizes of the shafts will be consistent.

robo hippy

Steve Mellott
07-16-2014, 9:31 PM
Woodturning Wonders is based in the Atlanta area, and I know at least 25 club members (myself included) who have bought wheels from Ken. The price is great, there is no need to buy a bushing (no-one I know seems to have needed one) and the quality seems to be good.

Mike Peace
07-16-2014, 9:57 PM
+1 on the Woodturning Wonders wheels. Our club has the 180 and I have their 80 grit. I have the D way 180. Can't see any difference in quality.

David C. Roseman
07-17-2014, 2:43 PM
I have Dave Schweitzer's D-Way 180-grit 8" on the right side of our two-year-old Woodcraft slow speed grinder, and Steve Fulgoni's Hurricane 80-grit 8" on the left side. Both have the square (non-radiused) edges, which I prefer, and measure 1-1/2" edge to edge. They both run very true. I don't hesitate to recommend both wheels highly, and both vendors are themselves veteran turners who are great to work with. One of our local clubs completed a group-buy from Steve for quite a few of the Hurricane wheels a couple of months ago, and there have been zero complaints.

David

Jeff Gilfor
07-17-2014, 6:11 PM
Interestingly, after I called to return my wheel to Steve, I was told that the lot I purchased from was a "new supplier." Perhaps the QC on that batch was not as good as those sold previously, but were less expensive to procure at wholesale. I got that Hurricane wheel about 2 months ago.

Just so that you don't think I have any bias at all against the Hurricane brand or Steve, I love the new Hurricane 10V gouges, and their chucks are as good as any I've seen on the market for any price. Just couldn't deal with a CBN wheel that cost almost $200, and bounced all over the place. And BTW, it was not the bushing either; I tried the wheel with both the bushing supplied, and the old bushing I had on the D-Way wheel it was to replace. Neither bushing solved the vibration issue. New wheel did.

Steve Peterson
07-18-2014, 1:22 PM
$262.40 for 2 sounds like a great price. I have a D-Way 180 grit wheel on one side and a Norton wheel on the other side for random steel grinding. I have heard of a 320 grit being offered somewhere. That would be my choice as a second wheel, instead of the 80 grit wheel offered from Woodturning Wonders.

Also, the bushing offered through D Way is a high quality metal bushing. There is no reason to be afraid of it. You do want to stay away from the cheap plastic bushings included with other wheels.

Steve

David C. Roseman
07-20-2014, 3:19 PM
$262.40 for 2 sounds like a great price. I have a D-Way 180 grit wheel on one side and a Norton wheel on the other side for random steel grinding. I have heard of a 320 grit being offered somewhere. That would be my choice as a second wheel, instead of the 80 grit wheel offered from Woodturning Wonders.

Also, the bushing offered through D Way is a high quality metal bushing. There is no reason to be afraid of it. You do want to stay away from the cheap plastic bushings included with other wheels.

Steve

FWIW, the Hurricane wheels have quality steel bushings as well. Don't know about CBN wheels other than the Hurricane and D-Way's, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if any come with plastic bushings, given the cost of the wheels!

David

Jerry Rhoads
07-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks Everyone, believe that I will go with the D-Way

Jerry

Greg Just
07-27-2014, 9:34 PM
My club did a quantity buy from Woodturning Wonders. Not only did we get a great price, but the club also received a couple of lights as a bonus. I mounted a 180 grit wheel on my variable speed Delta grinder and it works great.

Steve Fulgoni
12-26-2014, 4:27 PM
Hi Jeff, Thank you for your post. Just to clear up the concerns, I did not say I had a new supplier, I may have said new shipment from the supplier. I would not sacrifice quality for something that is less expensive to procure. We have been selling our CBN wheels for more than a year now, we have had two returns for wobble, I am sorry that yours was one. I specify the hole diameter to be -0.000" to +0.0015" and they are measured here before we ship them. I am still not sure why the wheel wobbled on your grinder because we could not reproduce it here, but I am glad that it worked out for you. We are now manufacturing them with a direct bore, but on your older style with bushings, the bushings were made locally here in NY to our specifications.

Rick Fisher
12-27-2014, 5:45 AM
First time I used one was the 180 at a wood turning class. The instructor taught each of us to sharpen a gouge free hand. ( His tools ) .. He had a Norton wheel on one side and the CBN on the other. He said the CBN didn't need to be balanced and he loved it ..

Greg Just
12-27-2014, 3:12 PM
You may want to look at Wood Turners Wonders. They have a two wheel set (80 & 180) for $262.40 including shipping ... or either one for $162.40.

I have the 180 grit Woodturners Wonders wheel and I am very happy with it. My woodturning club did a group buy and received a nice discount.