PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a mower for small acreage

Todd Burch
07-16-2014, 8:45 AM
I have 3.25 acres here in Chappell Hill. I've mowed it several times via a tractor with a 6' rotary mower, and via a 48" Bad Boy and a 54" bad boy (all borrowed - I don't own anything to mow it with yet.).

The tractor worked well, but there was a lot of tall grass/weeds at the time. It's a coarse cut, and for long term cutting, I don't think it's a solution. Lots of trees to go around, and I will eventually have a good size a lawn area around the house.

The Bad Boys are cool machines (a zero turn mower). Lots of power, but each time I use one, I feel like Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown cartoon strip. A cloud of dust follows you around - EVERYWhERE. Now, if my lot had solid, even grass with no open dirt spots, I might have another opinion, but as my lot is now, and probably how it will be for the next few years, I dread mowing it with the Bad Boy. During allergy season, I have to wear a good dust mask, wear full goggles, and ear protection, of I pay for it that night and the next several days.

I've been thinking that a flail mower with finishing paddles might be the ticket (the spoon shaped cutters - not the Y shaped cutters). I understand they leave no windrows, they area quiet, and I would be more removed from the "action" than the Bad Boy (in other words, mowing is not taking place under my bum, but way out behind the tractor).

Anyone here have a tractor-pulled flail for this size acreage? Or, do you have experience with a flail mower?

Any other ideas for a mower? When my wife and I are both on Bad Boys, (She on a 48" and me on a 54") we can mow the entire lot in 2.5 hours.

Thanks, Todd

Tom M King
07-16-2014, 9:17 AM
If going with a tractor, I'd get a finishing mower instead of a flail. Check out the available options at Agri-Supply, since you are in Chapel Hill (sorry, I didn't read the Texas part soon enough, but there should be plenty of options down there), there should be one not too far. I've had very good luck with their Italian Caroni (or something spelled similarly) implements, and they keep all the parts for them. They come up to 8-1/2 feet wide. You can also get them with rear discharge with helps some with the dust. I used to have a finishing mower, but since I got a 7' rotary cutter (bushog) with two tailwheels, it can cut just almost as good as a finisher if you keep the blades sharp. On my bushog, I fabricated a door on the top at the back that can be easily opened to sharpen the blades. Some people never sharpen the blades on a bushog, but like any other cutting tool, it absolutely does make a difference. This is not the only mower we have, so a rotary wouldn't be the best if the only cutter.

The good thing about a finishing mower is that even a small tractor can pull one wider than the back wheels. With a few acres to cut, size of mower can mean the difference between it taking all day, or less than an hour.

Ed Labadie
07-16-2014, 9:43 AM
I've used a flail mower for years......they work well. Cut quality isn't up to the standards of a finish mower.

Yes, flail type mowers are easier on the allergies, not much debris blowing around, one can mow when the grass is damp to minimize it further.

Someday, I would like to try the scoop knives, mine has always used the "Y" style.

Since you've already used a tractor/rear mower you know cutting around trees is a pain, no different with the flail.

Ed

Steve Rozmiarek
07-16-2014, 9:47 AM
I agree with Tom. We use them to mow all the grass on the farm, which ranges from 6ft weeds to bluegrass, and if they are sharp, they do well. Cut it before it gets too tall obviously for best results. John Deere makes a nice line of appropriately sized equipment for your needs.

Steve Peterson
07-16-2014, 11:15 AM
The Bad Boys are cool machines (a zero turn mower). Lots of power, but each time I use one, I feel like Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown cartoon strip. A cloud of dust follows you around - EVERYWhERE. Now, if my lot had solid, even grass with no open dirt spots, I might have another opinion, but as my lot is now, and probably how it will be for the next few years, I dread mowing it with the Bad Boy. During allergy season, I have to wear a good dust mask, wear full goggles, and ear protection, of I pay for it that night and the next several days.

I started wearing my Trend AirShield Pro when mowing the lawn and especially when using the weed whacker. I have never suffered a sinus headache the next day since I started doing this. It is also nice to have air blowing over the inside of the mask for staying cool and never fogging up.

Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
07-16-2014, 3:38 PM
Another way to combat the filth is to mow when its damp. After rain, dew, fog, hail, whatever. Here that means mow until around 9, or around dark.

Kevin Bourque
07-16-2014, 5:51 PM
I have a flail mower, rotary mower, zero turn, and belly mount mower on my tractor. I do a lot of grass/weed cutting here on the farm.

If I was you I would look into a rear mount, PTO driven finish mower. It won't be much help around trees, but it will cut way down on the dust cloud.

FWIW- I don't ever cut wet grass as suggested by some of the posts. It sticks to the mower and it clumps up on the lawn.

Wayne Lovell
07-17-2014, 9:32 AM
I recently purchased a Exmark zero turn and so far I love it. I also looked at the Scag and it is a really nice mower, what knocked it out of the running for me was how low you sit, I am 71 and have had back and knee problems and decided that if I had trouble getting up out of it now it is not going to get any easier in the future. Being lower does mean you can get under lover branches and it might be a plus for the younger guys. One thing I did notice in my highly scientific research was that when I go to Dallas to see the grand kids at least 1/2 of the lawn care trailers you see have Exmarks on them (I think there must be a law against mowing your own yard in the Dallas Burb's).

There is a learning curve with the zero turn, it's like flying a helicopter a very small movement of the controls results in a BIG result. They do not handle slopes as well as a garden tractor. If you get one practice in an open area for a while until you get used to it.

I agree with the Air Shield Pro even if I do feel like I belong on the Star Wars set. I think you will have the dust and grass clipping problem with almost anything you ride that will give you a quality cut and make tight turns.

Tom Fischer
07-19-2014, 6:30 AM
The big advantage of a flail is that you can cut grass that is 4' high (my flail anyway)
Go over the field twice, everything is shredded.
It is heavy and slow.
But if you cut regularly, don't need a flail

Difference between 3-pt hitch finish mower and a belly mower ZTR is
1) ZTR is faster but low to the ground and loud. Get bugs in the face, grass clippings, dust. Should wear glasses and hearing protection.
2) 3-pt hitch groomer is slower, can't get as close to stuff, but more comfortable seating, more like driving a car.

I've had everything, currently cut with a large ZTR (96"). It does take some getting used to.
Also, plan on storage of your mower. DO NOT store it on grass. It will rust away.

Chuck Wintle
07-19-2014, 1:35 PM
I have 3.25 acres here in Chappell Hill. I've mowed it several times via a tractor with a 6' rotary mower, and via a 48" Bad Boy and a 54" bad boy (all borrowed - I don't own anything to mow it with yet.).

The tractor worked well, but there was a lot of tall grass/weeds at the time. It's a coarse cut, and for long term cutting, I don't think it's a solution. Lots of trees to go around, and I will eventually have a good size a lawn area around the house.

I've been thinking that a flail mower with finishing paddles might be the ticket (the spoon shaped cutters - not the Y shaped cutters). I understand they leave no windrows, they area quiet, and I would be more removed from the "action" than the Bad Boy (in other words, mowing is not taking place under my bum, but way out behind the tractor).

Anyone here have a tractor-pulled flail for this size acreage? Or, do you have experience with a flail mower?

Any other ideas for a mower? When my wife and I are both on Bad Boys, (She on a 48" and me on a 54") we can mow the entire lot in 2.5 hours.

Thanks, Todd
Rather than invest in equipment why not pay some kids to do the cutting? If there were some enterprising youngsters around who wanted to earn some money..

Todd Burch
07-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Chuck… sssssh! I'm trying to work a tractor out of this deal.. ;)

Wayne Lovell
07-20-2014, 6:28 PM
If you go with a tractor get a front loader if at all possible, you will be amazed how much you will use that thing a lot of it for jobs you would never dream of. If you buy a new tractor get all of the implements you need with the tractor the dealers are usually so glad to sell the tractor the will throw the rest in pretty close to cost.

Although I think that Deere charges a lot more for green paint than it is worth if you like Deere Foster equipment in Katy is not to far from you and they always have package deals advertized, and they will work with you to add or subtract something from the package.