PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Turning Tools

Dan Case LR
07-14-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm planning on attending a turning class this fall, and my wife insists that I'm flying there instead of driving (it seems that my ability to fall asleep any time I sit still for a few minutes has her thinking I'll do that behind the wheel on a 10-hour drive).

I need to bring my own tools for this class. Anyone with experience flying with turning tools who can share some wisdom? I know they need to be in checked baggage and I'll need some sort of tool roll to contain and protect them. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

D.

John Beaver
07-15-2014, 12:31 AM
I use a tool roll and put them in my luggage. Do it all the time with no problem.

Tim Geary
07-15-2014, 5:42 AM
Im a screening officer and an airport, and as long as there in your checked bag you'll be ok. Just make sure they're well wrapped. Maybe in a tool role then in some clothes.

Thom Sturgill
07-15-2014, 6:56 AM
If you have removable handles, reverse the tool in the handle to protect the edge.

charlie knighton
07-15-2014, 7:11 AM
where are you going, curious.....enjoy

Michael Gibson
07-15-2014, 8:57 AM
Dan, as stated above in a roll, it is going to be opened and checked, you can imagine what the x-ray looks like especially with metal handles, so keep it close to the top of your luggage and l also put a note on the top saying TSA please be careful very sharp tools. One last thing check the weight it does not take much to go over the limit with tools and that will cost you. Have a great class and trouble free flight. Michael

Dan Case LR
07-15-2014, 9:04 AM
where are you going, curious.....enjoy

I won the grand prize at my turning club's Christmas party last December--a one-week class at Arrowmont in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I'm registered for a segmenting class with Curt Theobald in early October.

D.

Jamie Donaldson
07-15-2014, 4:07 PM
I have a dedicated tool bag that easily fits in a carry-on bag, and use tool shafts with removeable handles. I have an assortment of plastic hose sections that slip over the cutting ends to protect the sharp edges, and don't try to carry any more tools than necessary for each demo trip.

Marty Tippin
07-15-2014, 4:13 PM
I have a dedicated tool bag that easily fits in a carry-on bag, and use tool shafts with removeable handles. I have an assortment of plastic hose sections that slip over the cutting ends to protect the sharp edges, and don't try to carry any more tools than necessary for each demo trip.

How are you able get a bag full of razor-sharp "weapons" in a carry-on when the rest of us can't even carry a fingernail file?? :eek:

Dan Grebinski
07-15-2014, 8:13 PM
How are you able get a bag full of razor-sharp "weapons" in a carry-on when the rest of us can't even carry a fingernail file?? :eek:

Flys Al Qaeda Air?

Jamie Donaldson
07-15-2014, 8:52 PM
MY BAD, I meant checked bag!!!!! :eek: I have been turning long enough to remember the days when we carried on our tools in a piece of PVC pipe with a piece of rope for a shoulder strap, but those days are gone for good!

John King
07-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Foam lined rifle/pistol cases of appropriate size for your tools make excellent tool cases.

Dave Cullen
07-16-2014, 1:26 PM
Seems to be a variety of tool rolls out there - anybody have recommendations for a good one?

Hugh Buttrum
07-16-2014, 9:56 PM
No tool roll suggestion....but in the past I have put cut off leather glove fingers on the end of the tool and run a couple of wraps of masking tape over to hold.
Also, when I checked the luggage, I told the screener that there were sharp tools in the bag. I do not mind them looking, but I don't want them to cut themselves and get blood everywhere.
I have also made a PVC tube to carry the tools in. I have also sent them to Arrowmont and picked them up there when I got there. Arrowmont does shipping at the end of the class for sending them back home again.
Hugh