PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a contest for the best use of old PC bases ???

Bill Huber
07-14-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?219300-Porter-Cable-Safety-Recall

I know the letter said dispose the old base but I was wondering what I could do with the old one.

So should we have a contest to see how could come up with the best use of the old base?

It would not have to be used for woodworking, just using the base for something.

eugene thomas
07-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I am wondering if can recycle?

glenn bradley
07-14-2014, 10:56 PM
2nd router table ;-)

Vijay Kumar
07-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Does anybody know how long does it take to get the base?

Tony Haukap
07-15-2014, 1:50 AM
I was thinking along the same lines... I was going to put it in this weeks trash, but didn't and thought that if I could find a glass beaker the right diameter it would make a great mug.

Peter Quinn
07-15-2014, 6:19 AM
Anyone know why they are suddenly unsafe? I have one and have used some pretty old ones, never gotten shocked. Doesn't look like they changed the way the motor is insulated or grounded, they just wrapped some tape around the handles. Perhaps a $1 roll of electrical tape around the handles would make the base serviceable again as a router base? Guess I'm going to call for the recall but if the new base is in anyway less smooth or less comfortable than the old one it will be the one getting repurposed. Perhaps I could epoxy a pair of rubber gloves to the old base?

Bill Huber
07-15-2014, 8:18 AM
Does anybody know how long does it take to get the base?

I emailed them with all the info on 7-2-2014 and it came in yesterday.

Dale Murray
07-15-2014, 9:35 AM
I could see them used as legs for a cabinet, and the bases would make sliding it around a lot easier.

eugene thomas
07-15-2014, 9:59 AM
Well as to unsafe.? My old bosch router did have electric tape on the cord for a careless moment......

Mike Olson
07-15-2014, 10:36 AM
looks like you could put a big mug inside. Would be a pretty interesting double handled coffee/beer mug

Jamie Buxton
07-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Y'know the huge machines that crush a car into a dense little bale? I've seen pics of a coffee table made with a sheet of glass over one of those crushed cars. How 'bout you get lots of folks to contribute their Speedmatic bases, to crush them into a table base?

(And if you can't get enough Speedmatic bases, you can add a radial arm saw or two.)

ray hampton
07-15-2014, 2:00 PM
WHY not keep the old base in case the new one fail for some reason
DO they still make/sell the solution that you drip tools handles into or was it spray on the handle, either way , the old base could be insulate so that you will not get shock

Larry Frank
07-15-2014, 8:11 PM
I called on Friday and got the new base on Tuesday. I had mine mounted in a Woodpeck Unilift and took me about 45 minutes.

I still have no idea what this base is helping with especially since I have mine mounted in a router lift. It must be something as they are spending a lot of money on this recall.

Rick Fisher
07-15-2014, 10:20 PM
I have 2 of the old bases.. The 7518 is an icon router .. gonna keep the old metal ones as collectors items.. :)

Bill Huber
07-16-2014, 7:53 AM
I have 2 of the old bases.. The 7518 is an icon router .. gonna keep the old metal ones as collectors items.. :)

The new base is just like the old one, made of metal the difference is the new one has a covering on the handles so you can't get shocked.

Kevin Bourque
07-16-2014, 5:57 PM
Have you seen the whacked out 20 somethings walking the streets of America lately? Earrings. Definitely earrings.

Rick Potter
07-16-2014, 6:43 PM
Leave my radial arm saws out of this. If you don't love your Delta or DeWalt RAS, you can donate them to the URASO (Unloved Radial Arm Saw Orphans) foster home near you.

The closest one is in Upland CA.

Rick Potter

Bill Orbine
07-17-2014, 2:31 PM
Swisssshhhh.....TWO POINTS into the garbage can! There's your contest!

Seriously, the recall was done for reasons to justify the safety of your health and property. Are you willing to risk that? Play BasketBase...two points win!

Vijay Kumar
07-17-2014, 4:05 PM
Made the phone call on on July 7. Got it on July 16. That's pretty fast, coast to coast.

Rich Riddle
07-17-2014, 4:21 PM
Called in to get the new base, thanks Bill for the notification. Well she insisted that I not use the current one because it could be "deadly." Oh my.....well it was a very overly-dramatic remark considering how many owwm machines I own don't have any safety on them at all. One old metal drill shocks whomever uses it as soon as the person grounds himself. I lend that one out to "friends" who ask to borrow tools.

ray hampton
07-17-2014, 5:59 PM
Called in to get the new base, thanks Bill for the notification. Well she insisted that I not use the current one because it could be "deadly." Oh my.....well it was a very overly-dramatic remark considering how many owwm machines I own don't have any safety on them at all. One old metal drill shocks whomever uses it as soon as the person grounds himself. I lend that one out to "friends" who ask to borrow tools.

Good friends are hard to find, I hope that they return the drill after they finish the job

Larry Edgerton
07-18-2014, 7:35 AM
Turn a wood plug to fill the hole and bore it for marking instruments. I have a coffee can now, PC base would be a lot cooler. I have six, but have not called them yet.

Larry

Peter Quinn
07-18-2014, 9:47 AM
Swisssshhhh.....TWO POINTS into the garbage can! There's your contest!

Seriously, the recall was done for reasons to justify the safety of your health and property. Are you willing to risk that? Play BasketBase...two points win!

So...the thing can ground out to the base, and their solution was to wrap the handles in rubber and tell you never to touch the metal parts while its plugged in? We've all been using this thing for years, anyone here ever been shocked by it before? Even the slightest buzz in the fingertips? My problem with this solution if there is indeed a problem is that from time to time I may be holding the handle with one hand and guiding the body of the tool with the other hand when going around corners. Or my forearm might inadvertently touch the metal parts during a routing operation. If the body of the tool stands a serious chance to go live, you shouldn't be using the tool and just hoping you don't touch it. I'm ordering the base not because I believe there is serious a safety issue but because its cool to get new parts for a tool, and an extra base could come in handy, maybe a portable router table base in my future. My guess is somebody got shocked with an old beater with a loose ground or bad wiring, the lawyers got involved, we all get new bases. I'm no electrician, but does wrapping the handles on a tool whose body is electrified with 120V seem like a judicious way to proceed? And can I not just wrap the handles on my present base with an insulating material and get the same performance?

ray hampton
07-18-2014, 10:18 AM
So...the thing can ground out to the base, and their solution was to wrap the handles in rubber and tell you never to touch the metal parts while its plugged in? We've all been using this thing for years, anyone here ever been shocked by it before? Even the slightest buzz in the fingertips? My problem with this solution if there is indeed a problem is that from time to time I may be holding the handle with one hand and guiding the body of the tool with the other hand when going around corners. Or my forearm might inadvertently touch the metal parts during a routing operation. If the body of the tool stands a serious chance to go live, you shouldn't be using the tool and just hoping you don't touch it. I'm ordering the base not because I believe there is serious a safety issue but because its cool to get new parts for a tool, and an extra base could come in handy, maybe a portable router table base in my future. My guess is somebody got shocked with an old beater with a loose ground or bad wiring, the lawyers got involved, we all get new bases. I'm no electrician, but does wrapping the handles on a tool whose body is electrified with 120V seem like a judicious way to proceed? And can I not just wrap the handles on my present base with an insulating material and get the same performance?

someone got the shock that took his LIFE, while I can not recall the date that this happen , I do recall that the newspaper [cincinnati ]saying that a man was drilling a ho[e under his car [slight rain storm] and were electrocution [spell check]

Duane Meadows
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
someone got the shock that took his LIFE, while I can not recall the date that this happen , I do recall that the newspaper [cincinnati ]saying that a man was drilling a ho[e under his car [slight rain storm] and were electrocution [spell check]

And these new bases will not prevent that kind of ignorance, nor the consequences.

Phil Thien
07-18-2014, 12:54 PM

I'll bet you the people at places like Porter Cable are constantly amazed by field reports of how their tools are used.

Peter Kuhlman
07-18-2014, 2:11 PM
For a while I had 2 7518 routers and the bases while visually identical we're not interchangeable. Was not able to turn the motor into the other units base. Makes me question if a new base would even be guaranteed to fit?

A single wrap of Scotch 33 electrical tape is rated to 300 volts and no one would use just one wrap so you could easily do this if you prefer. Not sure how one would get shocked unless standing with bare feet on concrete!

As an electrician - all "good" electricians have been shocked a few times and I have been more than I should. It was when I got across 480volts hand to elbow that it really hurt! ;)

ray hampton
07-18-2014, 4:27 PM
And these new bases will not prevent that kind of ignorance, nor the consequences.

there is one type of base that will prohibit getting shock by a electric tool, A BATTERY PACK TOOL , 12 to 24 volts

ray hampton
07-18-2014, 4:37 PM
For a while I had 2 7518 routers and the bases while visually identical we're not interchangeable. Was not able to turn the motor into the other units base. Makes me question if a new base would even be guaranteed to fit?

A single wrap of Scotch 33 electrical tape is rated to 300 volts and no one would use just one wrap so you could easily do this if you prefer. Not sure how one would get shocked unless standing with bare feet on concrete!

As an electrician - all "good" electricians have been shocked a few times and I have been more than I should. It was when I got across 480volts hand to elbow that it really hurt! ;)

I been shocked by 110 volts house current and with a spark plug wires this cause me to pull my hand back which usual cause more pain than the shock, I am not a electrician by any sense of the word but still do the work to save money

Tony Haukap
07-18-2014, 5:04 PM
I have six, but have not called them yet.
FYI they will send them out in six separate boxes!
http://i58.tinypic.com/2s7xdhc.gif
I have three of them and was quite surprised by the inefficiency of the package... one box alone seems like it could hold 8 of the bases! But, now that I think about it, I bet these are all pre-package probably by an outside company and are ready to go and all they have to do is slap a label on them and out the door they go.
I wonder how long this design has been around? I know I bought my first one in 1993 or '94 just after I saw Norm Abram use one.

Peter Quinn
07-18-2014, 9:58 PM

Is this serious? The guy was under his car in a rain storm using a router to drill a hole in the floorpan of his car and got killed? Strictly random that his stupidity took his life in this way, i'm sure there were myriad chances otherwise. You can bet I wont get under my van in a thunder storm to route anything, and If I do I'll be using a GFCI circuit. Any link to the original incident? Love to read that for myself.

ray hampton
07-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Is this serious? The guy was under his car in a rain storm using a router to drill a hole in the floorpan of his car and got killed? Strictly random that his stupidity took his life in this way, i'm sure there were myriad chances otherwise. You can bet I wont get under my van in a thunder storm to route anything, and If I do I'll be using a GFCI circuit. Any link to the original incident? Love to read that for myself.

I do not recall the year that this happen , could be back in the late 50s or 60 s and cincy was serve with 3 or 4 newspapers at this time if I am not mistaker

Larry Edgerton
07-19-2014, 12:56 PM

Kind of like the Pinto that was parked in the middle of I-94 and was rear ended by a one ton van doing 70mph. Duh, it exploded..........

Larry

ray hampton
07-19-2014, 1:20 PM
Kind of like the Pinto that was parked in the middle of I-94 and was rear ended by a one ton van doing 70mph. Duh, it exploded..........

Larry

I regret this pinto being hit BUT bad things happen, IF I have one cent for every mistake that people have made since they was born I WOULD richer than donald gate and bill trump

Rick Potter
07-20-2014, 2:45 AM
Maybe I should order a couple bases. I have two 7518's in router tables. Got 'em both used, and never had a base for either one.

Nah, just sumpthin' else to store. They will never leave table use in their lifts.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
07-20-2014, 8:26 PM
I agree Rick .. I have never used one of the bases.. Not a scratch on it .. I don't really want the new ones either..

Matt Meiser
07-20-2014, 9:46 PM
FYI they will send them out in six separate boxes!

I have three of them and was quite surprised by the inefficiency of the package... one box alone seems like it could hold 8 of the bases! But, now that I think about it, I bet these are all pre-package probably by an outside company and are ready to go and all they have to do is slap a label on them and out the door they go.

I wonder how long this design has been around? I know I bought my first one in 1993 or '94 just after I saw Norm Abram use one.

Probably pre packaged. Stocking 2,3,4.... packs is probably more expensive than the relatively few multiples they'll send out. B