PDA

View Full Version : Umm, more bowls...

Chris Barton
07-03-2005, 8:42 AM
Hi Guys,

Here are a couple of the bowls I turned yesterday. The square bowl was my second attempt at trying to turn a square bowl, the first being fugly. The other, traditional shaped bowl is of Becote and was my first time to turn this wood. I like the Becote because it is very tight grained and dense, kind of like Cocobolo. The square bowl attempt is from some spalted maple I have had laying around.

Chris

Jim Dunn
07-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Just beautiful!! What is the dimension of the square bowl across the corners?

Jim

Roy Wall
07-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Chris,

Those bowls are terrific!! An so is the table they're sitting on.......tell us more!!

Chris Barton
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Guys,

The square bowl is 7" across diagonally. The case it is sitting on is my portable flytying desk (too many interests and too little time). Here are a couple of additional pics of it. It is made of curly maple and ash burl. The drawers have rare earth magnets holding the covers on the interior boxes dismantle to form tying tool racks (kind of like the Transformer line of toys). The finish is sprayed shelac tinted with Transtint "Golden Brown" alcohol based stain. Thanks for the kudos!

Chris

John Hart
07-03-2005, 9:04 PM
Beautiful Chris! Bowls and table both!:)

Roy Wall
07-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Chris - that is just beautiful!! Thank you.

Can you tell me how you make the top?

Chris Barton
07-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Roy,

The top is Ash burl veneered on to a piece if 12 mm baltic birch with a balance sheet of maple on the reverse. I used a vacuum press to do the veneering and trimmed the piece in curly maple.

Chris

Carole Valentine
07-04-2005, 7:55 PM
Both beautiful, Chris, but I particularly like the Bocote. I have not had the nrve to try turning a square bowl yet.:D

Glenn Hodges
07-05-2005, 4:46 PM
All of that is just beautiful.

Ernie Nyvall
07-05-2005, 6:09 PM
Beautiful work on all you posts Chris. I like the form and finish on all of your bowls. That's a heck of a fly tying station...real nice.

Ernie