PDA

View Full Version : Hauling 4x8 sheets in a short bed pickup (2012 Tacoma)...

Michael Yadfar
07-13-2014, 5:36 PM
Currently I don't even own a truck (although I'm working on if), I drive a sedan, but I typically borrow my fathers 2012 Toyota Tacoma when I buy heavy wood working machinery or take a trip to the lumber yard. The Tacoma has a 5 1/2' bed and cannot fit plywood between the wheel wells. There also is no slot to run 2x4s across to allow plywood to fit over top.

Typically I only buy a sheet or two at a time, so I just lean it over the tailgate. However, I'm currently insulating my shed and I need 20 4x8 sheets of 2" foam board insulation, which I planned on getting at Lowes. I was going to go to Delaware to save over $40 on sales tax, as the Delaware Lowes is actually only 5 minutes longer of a drive then the closest PA one. Leaning on the tailgate, I figure I can only fit two sheets. If I get them shipped, I have to pay sales tax plus shipping, and I also don't have any easy acess to a bigger truck or trailer. I can get 2x8 sheets at Home Depot that would fit, but I prefer the larger sheet, plus I would pay $2 more for each 2x8 sheet combo.

So I'm wondering if there's any way I can maximize my load with what I have? I would hope to somehow carry 10 at a time and only make 2 trips. Once I start getting into 4+ trips, the cost of gas may start outweighing other options.

Marty Tippin
07-13-2014, 5:50 PM
Tailgate down, sheet of plywood over the wheel wells, stack all 20 sheets of foam board on top of that sheet and use ratchet straps and the built-in tie down points in the truck to hold it down, balanced over the wheel wells. Put another sheet of plywood across the top before strapping it down if you're worried the wind will catch the top sheets of foam. If you can't get to the tie-downs inside the truck, run the ratchet straps over the outside and find somewhere under the body to attach. Use some cardboard to reduce rubbing against the paint.

I don't see any reason to make two trips - it's not even 100 lbs of cargo...

PS tell your dad he was foolish to buy a truck that can't fit a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells... ;)

Michael Yadfar
07-13-2014, 6:06 PM
I don't see any reason to make two trips - it's not even 100 lbs of cargo...

PS tell your dad he was foolish to buy a truck that can't fit a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells... ;)

I was actually more worried about height than weight. I never measured, but I figure it would be higher than the cab. I guess if it's tied down well enough I shouldn't have too much of an issue...

And with the truck, it actually suits him because he's one of those people that owns a truck just to own a truck, I've hauled more cargo in that thing and it's not even my truck. Still, I almost don't see a purpose of owning a truck if you can't fit plywood!

Dan Hintz
07-13-2014, 6:50 PM
Go measure... 20 sheets of 2" thick material is roughly 3-1/2'.

Michael Yadfar
07-13-2014, 7:48 PM
The top of the cab is roughly 30" above the wheelwells

scott vroom
07-13-2014, 7:51 PM
The top of the cab is roughly 30" above the wheelwells

Hey Michael, we're talking about 40 vertical inches of lightweight foam boards. Stack it on the wheel wells, tie it down and get it done!

Peter Kelly
07-13-2014, 7:57 PM
Rent the flatbed truck at the Concordville Home Depot and drive it to the Lowes in Delaware....

Problem solved!

Jamie Buxton
07-13-2014, 8:52 PM
Resting a plywood sheet on top of the wheel wells doesn't work well. The sheet keeps trying to slide sideways and drop one edge into the bottom of the truck. A better scheme is to use the 2x4 pockets in the sides of the bed. Cut 56 1/2" pieces of 2x4 or 2x6, and drop them in. They, plus the tops of the wheel wells, form a flat plane which will hold the foam. Stack it 40" tall, tie it down well, and away you go.

Michael Yadfar
07-13-2014, 9:35 PM
Resting a plywood sheet on top of the wheel wells doesn't work well. The sheet keeps trying to slide sideways and drop one edge into the bottom of the truck. A better scheme is to use the 2x4 pockets in the sides of the bed. Cut 56 1/2" pieces of 2x4 or 2x6, and drop them in. They, plus the tops of the wheel wells, form a flat plane which will hold the foam. Stack it 40" tall, tie it down well, and away you go.

I stated this in my original explanation, but for some reason the Tacoma does not have 2x4 pockets, which is a big problem and I really don't understand this. It does have a few small pockets, but these are odd sizes and I would have to custom make something to do this. It's a major design flaw on the truck.

Sid Matheny
07-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Make a couple of short sawhorse type props, one in front of the wheels and one behind. If you use it that much, you need them anyway.

Sid

Jamie Buxton
07-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I stated this in my original explanation, but for some reason the Tacoma does not have 2x4 pockets, which is a big problem and I really don't understand this. It does have a few small pockets, but these are odd sizes and I would have to custom make something to do this. It's a major design flaw on the truck.

Hunh? I have a 2012 Tacoma, and it does have 2x4 pockets. There's a pair forward of the wheel wells, and a second pair to the rear of the wheel wells. They accept 2x4s or 2x6s which are 56.5" long. The only customization is to cut the lumber to the correct length.

Jeremy Ferguson
07-13-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a 2011 same bed. Mine has slots for 2x6's. I also made an extension piece with legs that rest on the tailgate. I end up with three 2x6 cross pieces. Just stack everything and tie down well.

Keith Weber
07-14-2014, 12:08 AM
The older Tacomas didn't have the 2x6 slots. The newer ones do. On my 2009 Tacoma, I pop in the custom-cut 2x6s and load away. On my old 1999 Tacoma, for plywood, I used to have to prop the plywood up on the wheel wells, and the back of the ply would fit flush along the lip of the tailgate. To tie them in so they don't slide out, I'd tie a rope from the left, rear tie, under the ply to the rear center of it, then over the ply at that point to the left, rear tie down.

On the newer Tacoma, I can't do that because the bed is wider and slipperier, so it won't stay on top of the wheel wells. If I've forgotten my 2x6's, then I just let one side drop down and let the other side rest on the bed rail. That works fine if your ply is rigid enough (ie. not 1/4").

You also said that it's a 5.5' box. You kinda split the bed sizes there. The long box is a little over 6 ft. The short box is 5 ft. I would never buy a short box. It would be practically useless to me. The long box is a couple of inches short of 8 ft to the back of the open tailgate.

Now, you're hauling 2" rigid foam, not plywood, so I think that you're over-analyzing this. I'd do one of two things, depending on which one worked best at loading.

1. Put all 20 sheets in vertically, tie them down and be done with it. If they don't want to stay vertical, then push the whole stack to one side and let the stack lean over until it rests on the bed rail.

2. Put the first one in flat, but let it drop inside the wheel well, so that it's resting against the inside of the wheel well and flat on the opposite bed rail. Keep stacking them one at a time on top of the first until you fill it up. As long as you put your ropes in place in advance, you could probably go higher than the low-side bed rail. It would work, but I think option 1 is your best option.

Either way, just tie them down good and they won't blow away.

Keith

Keith Weber
07-14-2014, 12:19 AM
I just noticed that the title of your thread said 2012 Tacoma. I'm surprised that you don't have the 2x6 slots in the bed. They come with the slots, so either you've got the year wrong, it's been modified with a new bed liner, or you just didn't see them.

They look like these (called notches in the photo I got off Google):

Keith

Michael Yadfar
07-14-2014, 5:53 AM
I just noticed that the title of your thread said 2012 Tacoma. I'm surprised that you don't have the 2x6 slots in the bed. They come with the slots, so either you've got the year wrong, it's been modified with a new bed liner, or you just didn't see them.

They look like these (called notches in the photo I got off Google):

Keith

Mine has them, but they're only 1" deep and exactly 7"wide. They look like the ones you posted

Earl McLain
07-14-2014, 6:02 AM
Since it's foam, could you stand them on edge?
earl

Ronald Blue
07-14-2014, 6:26 AM
Years ago when I had a Japanese small truck and that same dilemma I did as Sid suggested. I built stands for lack of a better word so I could haul drywall etc and keep it flat. I used 2x4's and had them just slightly taller than the wheel wells. Basically an upside down "T" on the leg with a 2x4 cross bar. I probably overdid it but I made 4 of them and hauled drywall and other sheet goods many times with them. Just my solution that worked for me. As for the height you will be fine because the weight is nothing on your foam board. However if your going far you might want to have a tie down very close to the front edge or put a tarp over them as the top sheet could catch air under the edge and potentially break off. If the strap is within a few inches ofthe edge it should never be a problem.

Matt Day
07-14-2014, 6:42 AM
Mine has them, but they're only 1" deep and exactly 7"wide. They look like the ones you posted

Mike,

I think that's where a 2x8 would go, but a 2x8 is 7 1/4" wide I think.

You're just talking foam right? I'd put them on their side (think side/long grain if visualizing hardwood) stack them all together, use a ratchet strap to hold them all together like a sandwich, then strap the sandwich down to the bed with some hanging out the end of the bed.

Put some plywood at the outsides if you're worried about the straps damaging the foam.

Peter Quinn
07-14-2014, 7:14 AM
I would take the $40 tax savings plus whatever else it costs and go to enterprise, rent a cargo van, skip the straps, skip the constructing special rigs to stuff more stuff in a tiny truck. Well, I already own a cargo van, but that is beside the point.:rolleyes: How many trips before gas exceeds tax? Not sure the distances but around here 20 sheets of 2" EXP would get you free delivery, to your site, no hassles, no tie down shenanigans, so I wouldn't even put gas in the cargo van I already own to save $40 because I could make more money than that in the time I spent driving to the Borg. I never want to be that guy on the side of the road collecting smashed sheets of insulation and exchanging insurance info with irate drivers who have just gone through/over my lost load. And I've seen that guy before on my local interstate. I followed a guy once returning a full sized prehung entryway in a Miada to the Borg, miracle that thing didn't bounce out, I was behind him giving a wide berth. I know your question was how to do it, but I can't help asking why do it?

Dan Hintz
07-14-2014, 7:34 AM
Skip the notches, then, and cut the 2x6s a bit short. To make them stand up, place a single 2x6 (or even a 2x4) between them and nail it all together in a big 'H' or 'I' formation. Instant stand.

George Bokros
07-14-2014, 8:13 AM

Use 2X4 or 2X6 in those notches. Either will work fine. I have one 2X6 and one 2X4 I use in my Ford Ranger. I would strap the load down in an X pattern, front left to right rear and front right to left rear. Shouldn't need a lot or pressure to hold the load down. If you are worried about damage buy two sheets of cheap ply and use on bottom and top.

George

Justin Ludwig
07-14-2014, 8:51 AM
Why not have Lowe's deliver it? Did I miss something?

Or rent/borrow a trailer.

Steve Milito
07-14-2014, 8:57 AM
Why not have Lowe's deliver it? Did I miss something?

Or rent/borrow a trailer.
He's trying to save the 6% PA sales tax($40). Renting anything with wheels will cost more than $40 and if he has it delivered he has to pay the sales tax plus the delivery charge.

johnny means
07-14-2014, 9:21 AM
What's the worst that could happen?

Michael Yadfar
07-14-2014, 2:09 PM
What's the worst that could happen?

Ey, I do have a sedan, thanks for the idea haha.

Mark Bolton
07-14-2014, 2:47 PM
4 milk crates. Stack on top and ratchet straps. Bring something to protect the corners.

Tom Ewell
07-14-2014, 5:09 PM
Had to haul some drywall with my short bed Jeep Comanche. Made up a rack 8' long to fit between the wheel wells, height same as the wells. Tailgate down, strapped the rack across the back (didn't want it to slide out), loaded it up and tied down the rock.

Made the rack outta' 2x4's but thinking about doing it in PVC pipe for future sheet goods.

Greg Hines, MD
07-16-2014, 6:17 PM
Just make sure that you have a hand out the window to hold it tight, if you are going to go with this method.

Tom Howarth
07-16-2014, 6:59 PM
Ask the store if they can band them together and load it with a forKift. I think that would be easier to tie down one big bundle rather than 20 sheets. If your worried about denting the foam panels ask for the foam to be sandwiched between 2sheets of OSB.

Tom Howarth
07-16-2014, 7:00 PM
FORKLIFT. Darned auto spell...

Edward Oleen
07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Have you thought of stacking the 20 sheets of foam ON EDGE???? with a sheet of plywood on each side? Put a tarp over the whole thing and strap it down firmly. Drive home slowly, if you're worried...

scott vroom
07-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Have you thought of stacking the 20 sheets of foam ON EDGE???? with a sheet of plywood on each side? Put a tarp over the whole thing and strap it down firmly. Drive home slowly, if you're worried...

That would too easy....more fun to come with complicated and time consuming solutions that are complete overkill to transport a 4' x 8' x 40" foam block weighing less than 100 lbs. :rolleyes:

steve joly
07-17-2014, 7:40 PM
I just did this with around 50 sheets on a flat bed trailer...

put a sheet of plywood on the top of the styrofoam, that will allow you to strap it down, other wise when you hit bumps the straps dig into the styrofoam allowing them to loosen. I started with tight straps and after a mile almost lost the whole load. And I had straps going front to back and side to side. I took my time went back and bought a sheep of plywood threw it on top and was able to tighten the straps up and the stack didn't move an inch

Jim Andrew
07-18-2014, 8:31 AM
I used to have a 91 toyota pickup, short bed, and I just put sheets on the edge of the tailgate and sloped them down into the bed. Would put a strap over the rear, but never had trouble losing anything. Hauled lots of sheets, but not over maybe 6 or so at a time. When I had lots to haul, used my homemade tilt bed lawnmower trailer. The bed is 5 x 9 and I could load it till the bumper on the truck was pretty low. Keep the speed down with a heavily loaded trailer, or the front end of the truck gets light and you will end up in the ditch.

Harry Hagan
07-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I see this thread is still getting suggestions so I’ll post this link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dTPo3_TZg

This is how Russians haul lumber we they don't have access to a truck. :eek: