PDA

View Full Version : DW611PK and super simple shelf pin jig

Rich Engelhardt
07-12-2014, 8:44 PM
The pictures really tell the whole story.
I had some scraps of 1/2" MDF that I used that were already cut to the right size.

I used 1/2" since it offered the best clearance for the bushing w/out being too thick.
I drilled the 5/8" holes on the drill press using a spade bit - my set of Forstner bits was playing hide and go seek with me & winning ;).

I used the DEWALT DNP617 Centering Cone - $5.62 from Amazon - to set the bushing dead center and picked up a Whiteside spiral upcut bit from Woodcraft ~ $21.00.
I decided to spring extra for the Whiteside bit after reading some threads here where people had broken cheaper bits - but - the Whiteside was pretty bullet proof.
I made a trial run with it on some scrap shelving I have and it worked like a champ!

My first set of holes "for real" in the Cherry plywood pictured had some minor "fuzzies" and very slight tear out. I had the router set on it's slowest speed.
I increased the speed and the "fuzzies" went away.

Making the jig, from start to finish, is at best an hour job if you have to cut the pieces.
Cut that in half if you're lucky enough to have some scraps around.

Von Bickley
07-12-2014, 9:28 PM
Looks like you have a good set-up and I think adjustable shelves really had a lot to a cabinet.

Richard McComas
07-13-2014, 12:36 AM
I've be using about the same basic setup. I use a 1/2 x 6 wide piece of MDO whatever length. I use a 1/2 inch holes drilled with a Forstner type bit and a 1/2 inch bushing in my 611. Fits just right. I haven't used the center cone though. I keep the router in the same orientation and haven't experience any ill effects. The main difference is the bit I use. I use a straight 1/4 x1 inch double fluted Bit. I get perfect holes in melamine and plywood every time.