PDA

View Full Version : Do you buff? (using a stationary buffing wheel) Or is it really just for Turners?

Doug Hobkirk
07-12-2014, 6:31 PM
Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening (what a great book) got me thinking about why I have a buffing wheel in my shop. My reading was that it is NOT helpful in sharpening. I've used it a few times to make metal shine (I have [if I remember correctly] white, black, & blue compounds).

When I search for "buffing" in the title, almost everything is in the Turner's forum.

The picture is a buffer that I picked up today, but it's similar to the one I have had nestled into one of my shelves for several years.

Thanks

Mike Cutler
07-12-2014, 6:45 PM
Yep, I got one and it gets used. I have one of the paper wheels on the left and a buffing wheel on the right. I have a pretty specific use for mine, hoof knives, But I use it too clean up chisels and other tools from time to time
I've never read Leonard Lee's book, but I can tell you that with the right compound on a buffing wheel you will be removing material, and you can create some extra work for yourself if you're not careful. ;)

Loren Woirhaye
07-12-2014, 6:52 PM
I use one with Lee Valley green rouge. Mostly for turning and carving tools but occasionally I touch up a chisel or plane iron. It's easy to overdo it and round over an edge. It may look and feel sharp but if you buff too much it won't be. I'm not big on stropping but that's probably a better option if you want to skip using something like a polishing stone.

I've buffed guitar finishes. I have 2 big cotton wheels each dedicated to a specific compound. I store the wheels each in a bag with its compound. Since the compounds are white there's no way to tell which is the finer.

Alan Bienlein
07-12-2014, 6:55 PM
Only guitars!

HANK METZ
07-12-2014, 6:55 PM
I added a removable buffing station to my 6x48 belt sander for buffing and polishing needs during my equipment restorations. I can easily switch between abrasive belts and buffs, at no loss of shop space since the footprint remains the same. I find I go to it more often than I originally thought I would, it's kinda like having a metalworking lathe in the shop; you don't really need one but once you have it, you'll never part with it.

Doug Hobkirk
07-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I added a removable buffing station to my 6x48 belt sander for buffing and polishing needs during my equipment restorations. I can easily switch between abrasive belts and buffs, at no loss of shop space since the footprint remains the same. I find I go to it more often than I originally thought I would, it's kinda like having a metalworking lathe in the shop; you don't really need one but once you have it, you'll never part with it.
So what do you use it for?

HANK METZ
07-13-2014, 12:20 AM
So what do you use it for?

On my brightwork like metal levers, columns, hardware, etc. and especially plastic and Bakelite control knobs, most of which are made of unobtanium from the '50's and '60's. I recently used it to buff and polish inexpensive cold rolled steel rounds for the X axis guide rods on my DiY CNC router project, saved me from having to buy the much more expensive ground and polished stuff. It's like I said about lathes, once you have the tool the work for it seems to appear out of nowhere. :)

Chris Fournier
07-13-2014, 9:56 AM
I do buff but I keep my clothes on in the shop.

Polishing finishes, tweaking metal components and the odd tool. Pneumatic drum sanding and wolf heads are on my pedistal machine most of the time.