PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding branding ...

Joe Shanaphy
07-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Hi all ...

I just got a electric branding iron off ebay (new) and I have a somewhat unusual question. For the bowls, platters, etc. that I have already turned and finished, can I use the iron over the finishes? Some are Danish, some wax, some simply shellac. Hopefully someone has tried ... or knows NOT to try! :eek:

Thanks, Joe

Jesse Busenitz
07-12-2014, 1:24 PM
I've found it works best on an unfinished piece.... You can go over a finish but the results are kinda iffy.

Don McClure
07-12-2014, 4:32 PM
When I have tried branding over a finished, it usually turns out with a burned look in the surrounding finish. Brand before you finish.

Harry Robinette
07-12-2014, 9:40 PM
I burn before finish. After finish is tricky at best and if you do try this wear a respirator. It stinks badly.

Dwight Rutherford
07-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Joe,
I have been looking for a brand for my turnings, which one did you buy?

Joe Shanaphy
07-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Dwight

Its a Wall Lenk with custom head. I fou7nd it on ebay for $39 delivered.

BTW ... the reason I'm asking is because I have a fairly large number of finished turnings, some waiting for final buffing and I would like to brand them in addition to new ones.

Steve Mawson
07-13-2014, 1:19 PM
Give it a try on one, worst case is you have to refinish the bottom of a bowl. Don't know that brand of iron but branding the bottom of a bowl unless it has a large flat bottom is a little difficult because of the curve.

Peter Fabricius
07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
If branding after finishing is not possible a second best might be to brand a bunch of wood business cards and include one with each bowl. I know it is not as good as branding the bowl but it will get your name out to your customers.
Peter F.

Steve Busey
07-15-2014, 7:22 AM
BTW ... the reason I'm asking is because I have a fairly large number of finished turnings, some waiting for final buffing and I would like to brand them in addition to new ones.

Joe, if you have somebody near you that has a laser engraver, you can "brand" your finished turnings quite easily.