PDA

View Full Version : Tips on cleaning a level??

steven c newman
07-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Picked up a level today. It will need a bit of clean up 292889Brass at both ends, and a couple of brass cover plates. Those i can Brasso or Neverdull back to life. The area around the two intact vials is very dirty. Need a way to get the dirt and crud out fro around the brass holders. All screws are there. Plate over the main vial has a "Stanley" "SW" No. 3

level is exactly 24" long. Looks like at one time ( New?) it was painted a red colour? Do I repaint it, or strip off what is left?

This came as part of a $1 deal, the other part was a Eclipse Nest of Saws. :D

steven c newman
07-12-2014, 1:46 PM
Well, do I take off these brass cover plates292903Or just use a toothbrush to scrub around? Quite a bit of tarnish on the vial holders. Anyone know whether or not these were painted? Would I be ahead just to scrape off the remaining red flakes, and re-finish the bare wood?

Pat Barry
07-12-2014, 2:25 PM
Steven, I would just leave it alone and leave the patina. I don't think excessive cleaning and or polishing is really necessary or beneficial.

Jim Matthews
07-14-2014, 5:22 PM
If you must polish brass, consider something like Flitz and a soft rag.

I would be really careful with fine brass screws,
damage them and you could render the level useless.

steven c newman
07-15-2014, 3:05 PM
Although the screws MAY be brass, have yet to see a brass anything ...rust. Screws for the end caps are rusty, Ends will get a polishing as well as the two plates. Red paint was a previous owners addition, and will have to go away. Will go back to the OEM Cherry look. Dark Red Cherry & Bright Brass. Sounds fairly nice, for a free level?

steven c newman
07-15-2014, 5:38 PM
I think it is about all cleaned up, and presentable to "Polite Company" 293112 Red paint the farmer had put on it is gone293113Brass all shined up. Retired Army-type, you didn't think I would leave BRASS un-shined? 293114Hardest part was cleaning around the vials. No, I did not take any screws out. Cleaned all in place293115Might be worth the $1, I paid for this, and an Eclipse Nest of saws. Will start cleaning up the saws, next...

Jim Matthews
07-15-2014, 7:12 PM
Nicely done.

Did you oil the works, too?

steven c newman
07-16-2014, 3:34 PM
LOL, Ooops, knew I forgot something.....will get right on that..