PDA

View Full Version : Before and after shop storage

Mike Peace
07-11-2014, 7:22 PM
I had a desk in my shop that filled up with stuff rendering it useless. So I decided to design and build a more appropriate storage unit that included a desk type tray that slides in and out. This is a convenient area to work on pyrography or sit down to change chuck jaws.
After many hours of design deliberation and more than two weeks of flat work and a couple of days designing and turning a bunch of knobs, here is the final result. I think I will be happy with it and I gained a little more floor space since the desk was 30" deep and this unit only 18" deep. Now I just need to decide what will go into which of the 12 drawers.

Roger Chandler
07-11-2014, 8:07 PM
You know Mike........I think units similar to this that have drawer space to organize and get things off the tops of table saws and other machines are worth their weight in gold [almost ;)] to most wood workers. Especially in a smaller shop, the ability to have dual use and get horizontal surfaces uncluttered are invaluable.

Nice design and looks like it will serve you well!

glenn bradley
07-11-2014, 9:36 PM
Very nice. A much more useful space now, eh? With few exceptions I either build into the stands that come with my tools or remove them and replace them with drawer units. Drawers stuffed with stuff aen't very useful except for hiding things. Drawers that are organized provide quick access to my tools and make clean up just as quick since I know where everything (well, almost everything) goes.

Michelle Rich
07-12-2014, 6:44 AM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Lamb
07-12-2014, 7:42 AM
Well done! But the real question is will you be able to find anything?
Remember a clean shop is evidence of a confused crafts person.

Terry Vaughan
07-12-2014, 3:02 PM
It may sound a bit over the top but I took the trouble to number the drawers in my shop and make an alphabetical list of the contents. That list is almost the most important tool I have!
Terry

Mike Peace
07-12-2014, 3:03 PM
Well done! But the real question is will you be able to find anything?
Remember a clean shop is evidence of a confused crafts person.

I think I probably do stay confused more than many, Peter!

Thom Sturgill
07-12-2014, 3:36 PM
Nice cabinet, Mike. When I moved into my shop I built a 16ft base cabinet along one wall, all drawers! My workbench that is behind me when I turn has 6 drawers which store every thing from buffing wheels and tool rests to kit parts. the top drawer has a divided section along the front that stores drive centers, drill chuck and other such items. Drawers are like clamps, you never have too many!

Von Bickley
07-12-2014, 4:00 PM
That looks like some great storage, and you can't have too much storage.

ps: Where's the desk?

Mike Peace
07-13-2014, 3:49 PM
ps: Where's the desk?

Von, I was able to use the desk to replace the saw horses I was using to support my wife's quilt cutting table 4' X 6 1/2'. Added a 2x4 frame to raise it up a few inches and it is a major improvement over what she had in terms of flatness and stability. Especially since it has drawers.

Doug Herzberg
07-15-2014, 9:41 AM
Something is wrong. I don't see any shavings in the second photo.