PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Router Fence

Brad Seubert
07-10-2014, 5:01 PM
I'm about to start building my router table fence. It would be great to see some pics of other shop made fences and hear what you like and don't like about them.

I am thinking I will end up with something similar to a Norm style fence, but am interested to see what others have built.

I also want to have a t-track on it so I can add the Jessem stock guides. Those of you with the guides, how far from the base of the fence is your t-track?

Thanks!

Gilbert Vega
07-10-2014, 7:20 PM
Here's the router table and fence I made. It's attached to the backside of my PM66 and functions as an out feed table as well. The fence and table were covered in satin black Formica. Fence front is HDPE.

Chris Parks
07-10-2014, 10:48 PM
There was a thread on this subject a few weeks ago. Go to Google images and do a search, that is the best way to look at anything, YouTube is good also.

John Schweikert
07-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Routerforums.com has tons of examples.

pat warner
07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Router table curtain fence (http://www.patwarner.com/images/rtf_opener.jpg).

Mike Delyster
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Nothing fancy, but its square and works.

Curt Harms
07-12-2014, 8:59 AM
that I'm not in a hurry to replace it:p. I thought it might be useful to be able to use the router table fence on either side of the bit. I'd done that with a previous version and it was awkward. I had a slab of removed kitchen counter top that was in the way so decided to redo the router table/fence.

It's really just an L shaped assembly with the cutter opening enclosed and a dust port attached to the enclosure. Nothing fancy but it seems to work well. I do find the ability to make the router cutter opening larger or smaller useful. I could have cut a bit of the wall of the miter track where it and the blue T track intersect and used that as a path to insert and remove the T bolts when mounting or dismounting the fence. It would have saved leaving the gap at the end of the T tracks toward to T.S. table but no huge deal there. Maybe this will give someone an idea.

Wayne Jolly
07-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Attached are a couple of shots of the router table fence I am still in the process of building. A couple of notes - 1) it is quite long at about 56 inches. 2) I didn't want to put t-track into the table top so I made it with a clamp at each end to clamp it down to the table top. 3) I still have to make some proper knobs to replace the hex nuts that tighten it all down.

I made it from a piece of 3/4" cheap plywood for the bottom, and red oak for the faces and supports, etc. The faces on the front of it are made from some scraps of some maple plywood that I had laying around and laminated with the black Formica. (Yes, it just happens to be the Formica brand :)).

While the table and fence are still under construction, I have it together enough that I have tested it, and used it for another project. It worked quite well. As it is, I had to use a wrench on the hex nuts for the end clamps to get it to hold tight, but when I get proper knobs on it, it will hold tight and will be stable just using the knobs.

Wayne

Alan Bienlein
07-13-2014, 4:14 PM
This is what I made for my router table based on Norm's. It attach to an extra fence for my table saw.

Pete Janke
07-13-2014, 5:38 PM
Attaches to the fence of my Grizzly G0691.

Brad Seubert
07-13-2014, 7:10 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming! I was planning on working on the fence this weekend but ran out of time. To many other projects and the weather was to nice today.

Attaches to the fence of my Grizzly G0691.

Is that 8020? Have any photos of the back of it? I had thought about using 8020, but it just seems so expensive. It does look nice though.

Thanks for all the other ideas. I was planning on working on the fence this weekend but ran out of time. To many other projects and the weather was to nice today.