PDA

View Full Version : A well rounded clamp collection?

Dan Forman
07-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I currently have four 24" and four 40" Bessy K body clamps, and four pony pipe clamps (no pipes yet). With the sale on the Gross Stalbil's, I am wondering what else I should have for a well rounded collection for furniture making. I know, "you can never have too many", but what are the basic necessities?

I plan on making myself a work bench, router table, kitchen cabinets, end tables, a desk, a dresser, asst. storage projects. If these go well, I would like to be able to eventually make some pieces for sale as well.

Dan

Tim Morton
07-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I currently have four 24" and four 40" Bessy K body clamps, and four pony pipe clamps (no pipes yet). With the sale on the Gross Stalbil's, I am wondering what else I should have for a well rounded collection for furniture making. I know, "you can never have too many", but what are the basic necessities?

Dan

what sale??? I'm looking to try some GS clamps....HELLO????:D:D

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Dan, I noticed that you didn't mention any of the smaller sizes. I use my smaller 12"er's all the time. They're just the the Bessy tradesman version (I think that's what they're called - not the k's), but they're great. But beyond this, I find that more clamps simply alows me to glue up more stuff at a time i.e. two table leafs instead of one at a time. With my limited collection of eight 24" k's and four 40" k's I can do most projects without any problem. Every once in a while I reach for the ponies, but most times I'm good to go. Not that I want to suggest that you can have enough. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that :p

Dan Forman
07-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Tim---This sale: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21937 Brought to our attention by the alert Mr Cioffi.

Roy Wall
07-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Dan,

THis is a good thread for me too!! I currently have 8- 40" and 8-24" bessey k-bodies..... Other guys in town have told me the same thing about the Bessey 12's- They use them a lot!! Right now I get by with a set of 4 -12" light duty german clamps.

Many here on SMC like the GS clamps better than the Bessey's......

Sam Blasco
07-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Some 36's, some 48's. a couple of 60's couldn't hurt. i've got mostly jorgies, and some bessys. like the jorgies just a little better (bigger handles, easier to adjust and clean, and most importantly i can break them down and put two together to make longer clamps if i need them). i think you may be able to do this with the bessys now, but not sure, and also not sure on the grosses. they look nice, have gotten nice reviews and feel good when i checked them out at a show. i also have a wide assortment of quick grip style clamps in lenghts from 6"-24". two buckets full of spring clamps (2", 3", & 4"), a host of varying sized C-clamps, quite a few screw clamps (12" & 6"), another bucket full of 12" bar clamps, and I really like my aluminum 48" beam clamps for help with assembly. several band clamps (one of them the bessy version - nice), miter clamps (at least four). i'm sure i've left stuff out, but that's what's come off the top of my head. i make it point to get one clamp with any woodworking supply order i do. helps the collection add up within financially easier increments. trying to purchase clamps all at once, even a "starter set" can be a daunting experience. you can also let your projects dictate clamp needs, and purchase as you go, budget for them in each project. in no time at all you will have a bunch, and yes it won't ever be enough.

Per Swenson
07-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Pipe clamps.
cheap, any length, ( I have clamped 20 feet, 2, 10s and a union)
amazing clamp pressure.
Like Mr. Blascos assortment, never pass up a c clamp either.
Big ones little ones. 4 c clamps and 4 slightly curved cauls,
will flatten any panel.
And those quick grip clamps, I am a firm believer.
You can get 10, 24 inch Qgrips for about $100 from penn state.
No ,you can never have enough clamps, sure I have a load of jorgys and besseys, but those pipe clamps and quick clamps come to hand fast.
I suppose what I am trying to say is try not to get
caught up in the Rolls Royce of clamps all at once.

Per

James Carmichael
07-03-2005, 2:29 AM
I imagine folks with the shorter parallel-jaw clamps do use them a lot, the majority of clamping tasks don't take that much. I just can't see spending $25 on a 12" clamp, though. For that sum, I can make up 5 12 - 24" x 3/4" pipe clamps, and that's buying everything new.

Though I have 10 big Bessey's (8 50s & 2 40s), I actually prefer the pipes where I don't need the deeper reach of the Bessey's. They're much lighter and better balanced, easier to handle.

Bill Neely
07-03-2005, 3:47 AM
Hartville tool sells a 3 3/4" throat Gross Stabile German I beam clamp at a very reasonable price. This is an excellent clamp.

Jon Toebbe
07-03-2005, 11:19 PM
The latest issue of Shop Notes magazine has an article on buying clamps. Their advice was to spread the purchases out over three stages: general purpose, long cabinet glue-up clamps and special purpose clamps. I can't remember all the details, and that issue is currently buried under a pile of post-move-in-throw-it-all-in-the-garage junk.

In any event, it might be worth checking out.

Harry Goodwin
07-03-2005, 11:27 PM
All you folks who apreciate so much hand planes which I agree have forgotten wood parallel (spell) clamps. A 4" ,8" wooden clamp will enable you to do great things. Harry

Mark Singer
07-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I agree with Per....pipe clamps are hard to beat! If you make large pieces....beds, dining tables, sofas, long cabinets...you can couple them together. The wood cam clamps are wonderful! Small clamps are great for so many things....I have many 12" and 8" bessey and Pony type. Spring clamps , band clamps, frame clamps, tape, tubing....you need it all sooner or later.

John Hart
07-04-2005, 6:59 AM
Yep...I'm a big fan of pipe clamps too. They're half the price, length versatile, and last forever.