PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on potential clean-up of old two-man crosscut saw?

Matthew Cashman
07-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi there,

First post here, but I've been lurking for a while. I have an old two-man crosscut saw that was my grandfather's that I'd like to mount on my wall (not too many trees to crosscut), and I'm wondering how you think it ought to be cleaned up, if at all.

Right now I'm leaning toward just giving it a brush with a nylon brush and putting some beeswax + mineral oil on both the blade and the wooden handles, but if you think it's worth cleaning with something that chelates like Evapo-rust I'd listen. As it stands, I can't make out an etch anywhere.

Thanks,

Matt

Cody Kemble
07-10-2014, 1:20 AM
Evapo-rust seems a bit over the top if you just want to mount it on the wall. I'd just scrub it down and throw on a little wax. I would take the handles off to clean out any gunk in between and get that part of the wood really clean. I like to see the definition between wood and metal.

Pat Barry
07-10-2014, 8:33 AM
I like the way it looks right now so I agree with your thought to give it a mild cleanup and then wax coating. No harsh treatment - ie - no sanding or scraping or wire brush or steel wool. Just surface dirt removal

Jason Roehl
07-10-2014, 8:48 AM
I would vote with Pat's suggestion.

Tom M King
07-10-2014, 8:56 AM
It looks like it's in great shape to me just like it is.

Matthew Cashman
07-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the perspective all!

Jim Koepke
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Matthew,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not indicate a location. Where do you call home?

My thought on your saw is it can always be cleaned tomorrow. It will never be able regain the patina left by your grandfather once it is removed.

To me part of the beauty seen in an old tool is how it looks from its years of work.

jtk

Matthew Cashman
07-10-2014, 8:48 PM
Thank you for the welcome Jim, and thanks for your thoughts on what to do.

Just updated my profile. I'm right outside of Boston.