PDA

View Full Version : First gloat on this side.

Dan Racette
07-02-2005, 10:42 PM
My Family "heirlooms" that I got from my dad (and a couple from EBAY).

Just got to get motivated to "get to work".

They need to look like the new LN!!!

Roy Wall
07-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Dan,

Looks like you've got a few good users there!!! Clean em up and sharpen.....fluffy shavings await in the Dark Side.........

Corvin Alstot
07-03-2005, 10:28 AM
My Family "heirlooms" that I got from my dad.
They need to look like the new LN!!!
Hope you do not plan on polishing them too much, I like the old patina-it shows
their use and age. Just tune them up, flatten the bottom, sharpen the blade
and you will be good to go.
I like the new LN plane you bought, but old looking planes should look "old". IMHO

Peter Mc Mahon
07-03-2005, 11:43 AM
What kind of plane is that on the far left in the top 2 pictures?

Dan Racette
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I am not sure peter, but The one that has the blade out has a "stanley" on the lever cap. There is a different type of lever on the frog. I am completely NOT any sort of ID-ing expert, so unless someone knows, I don't! Just starting by getting the #4's functioning. Need to get that rust off!

Dan

Rob Hull
07-07-2005, 3:02 PM
I'm not an expert, but that plane in the upper left with the blade removed looks an awful lot like a Stanley #62 (low angle jack plane).

Alan Tolchinsky
07-07-2005, 4:35 PM
Cool collection Dan. I just got the same LN block plane and you're going to love that one. The others, well they're going to take some tender loving care for you to love them. :) How's your sharpening equipment, what do you have? You'll probably need to flatten the soles and I've done this too. It's good for building upper bodly strength. It's a nice collection; enjoy. Alan

Dan Racette
07-07-2005, 5:00 PM
Alan, you and I seem to be going at about the same pace in equipment acquiring! I have a 6" grinder, norton waterstones, sandpaper and granite surface plates. I have a one-way cool wheel, balancer and the new rest and honing guide on the way. This IS my new workout routine!!!!

Dan