PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Airconditioning experts a question please?

Alan Tolchinsky
07-02-2005, 3:24 PM
Hi, I need my outside a/c unit replaced and the people doing it charge $75 for "reclaiming the R22". Is there anyway to avoid this? I'm going to dispose of the old unit myself as my local refuse will take it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cecil Arnold
07-02-2005, 3:31 PM
Not leagally. The clean air act requires the recapture and recycling of CFCs to keep the ozone from being depleted.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 4:34 PM
Alan,

I would think that if you are spending 'sizable' money to have a new A/C installed, the firm would take care of your old one as a courtesy. I recenlty revamped my whole HVAC system (so like 5k worth) and they simply pumped down my old A/C and even hauled it away for me..."no charge".... :)

Ken Garlock
07-02-2005, 5:10 PM
Heck, tell them that sympathy is in the dictionary, and if they want your business, they will take care of the R22 and the old compressor/condenser unit, sans $75.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-02-2005, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the advise. I can't wait to get this in. It's been two weeks and the temps. have been in the 90's here in Md. Thank God we have a couple of room a/c units, one in my bedroom that have kept us sane. Thanks again.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-02-2005, 6:12 PM
Alan,

I would think that if you are spending 'sizable' money to have a new A/C installed, the firm would take care of your old one as a courtesy. I recenlty revamped my whole HVAC system (so like 5k worth) and they simply pumped down my old A/C and even hauled it away for me..."no charge".... :)

Hi Chris, Did they redo some of your duct work to increase air flow? The air flow in this house has never been good. Just wondering.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Alan, that would have really increased my cost well beyond what I would have wanted assuming it would have even done any good...which I doubt. My house with built in the early 70s FWIW.

They did redo the hook-ups at the furnace/A/C to bring it all up to current code but that was about it. Overall, I am quite happy with the work that was done. As a bonus, I was able to move my A/C to a little nook in between my house and shed and get it out of a main pathway near my sliding glass door. Everything worked out very nicely and it cools oh so nicely! :)

Cecil Arnold
07-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Alan, if the duct work is in the attic you can get some decent flex duct at a reasonable price. If you are using rigid it will cost $$$. One thing you might consider is adding dampers to get the cooling load balanced if you don't already have them. They are installed at the plenum (sp?) and it will take a couple of trips to get it right.

Chris Padilla
07-03-2005, 2:01 AM
Oh yeah, included in my 5 grand was zoning the upstairs and downstairs. They had to add two dampers at various points within the system.

DEFINATELY look into zoning your house if possible. I believe it is well worth it. I rarely A/C the downstairs...just the upstairs. However, it isn't cheap to zone but I think it will save you money in the long-run and it adds value to your house.