PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Weekend of Necessity

Jim Koepke
07-07-2014, 9:55 PM
Some woodworking is items we will want to look at and be pleased. Some of mine is just to get things done around the yard.

Here are three items just to make things work smoothly.

First is this old wheel barrow my father gave me years ago.

The wood handles rotted away long ago. My father replaced them with some aluminum stock he had. They were never comfortable. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me sooner to make some wooden handles. These were shaped on a lathe. The stock was then held up to the aluminum and whacked with a mallet to put the pattern on the end of the wood. It was then marked with a gauge and cut out with a saw and chisel.

Next was a latch for the garden gate. The old one was a hook that was hard to close if one was carrying anything. The gate needs to be closed at almost all times or the chickens like to come in and eat any small plants.

Gravity wasn't enough to insure the gate staying closed so a wooden spring was added.

Finally we have cut a few trees and have a lot more to bring down. Cutting into firewood in the field is a bit of a chore if you don't have a way to roll the logs. I know I should have bought that peavy for $35 when I had the chance. I did find just the hook at a junk store for $1. I had the scrap of fence pole and the spike is a 60d nail with the head cut off and sharpened. The handle is made of a piece of vine maple. The handle end was shaped with a draw knife and spoke shave.

It is all funky, but it all does what it is supposed to do.

jtk

Jim Matthews
07-08-2014, 7:16 AM
I couldn't handle half my woodpile without my cant hook.
Smaller items are muled with a reg'lar pry bar.

A Peavey is excellent on sloping ground, but not needed where I live.

Clever gate latch, JK. Chickens being escape artists, and all that.

http://www.crosscutsaw.com/13.html