PDA

View Full Version : Attention Grizzly DC buyers

Kurt Voss
07-02-2005, 3:07 PM
I just set up my new Grizzly cyclone DC (one of the newer style) and was "fooled" for a while into thinking that I had a missing part. The issue stems from the way the collection bin is configured; it comes in two pieces. A lower piece onto which the casters are mounted and which can be used by itself if one chooses to mount the DC below an 8' ceiling. There is also an extension piece that can be added to allow the full 55gal capacity if one is mounting the DC below a 10' or taller ceiling. The extension piece is turned upside down and placed into the lower section and the band clamp secured around the two pieces which quite effectively "hides" it from view. Grizzly informed me that some other customers had the same issue, so I thought I'd help pass the word along about this.

BTW, this DC works great! Sorry, I can't give a comparison as this is the only one I've ever seen in person and in operation. Excellent assembly instructions, nicely segregated and packaged fasteners. Components were packaged thougtfully and arrived without any damage. It comes in two packages (three if you get the optional stand) secured to a pallet (too heavy to ship UPS). It comes with a handy loop in the mounting flange for the motor - so that I could assemble the entire unit on its side and then using my chain hoist, simply lift it upright into position. Felt pretty good lifting its 432 lbs with one hand :D . I'll post some pics soon.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 4:36 PM
Sounds good, Kurt, and thanks for the head's up! Look forward to those pics and your thoughts of the system.

Bob Borzelleri
07-02-2005, 5:42 PM
Kurt...

Which model did you order? Mine is a 2 hp and it came with the smaller (shorter) capacity bin. I hadn't thought about getting the additional piece to make it a 55 gal bin. Did you ask for the 55 gal bin specifically or did it come with the hp version you ordered?

BTW, my experience with the unit pretty much mirrors yours. Well packaged, attention to detail both in design as well as in fabrication, and it is built like a tank (not a Bradley, I hope, although I do not plan to use it around water).

My wall renovation project has been on hold for the last several days so the final touches for the ductwork is similarly held up. Hope to get machines hooked up by the 5th or so.

...Bob

Kurt Voss
07-03-2005, 4:43 PM
Kurt...

Which model did you order? Mine is a 2 hp and it came with the smaller (shorter) capacity bin. I hadn't thought about getting the additional piece to make it a 55 gal bin. Did you ask for the 55 gal bin specifically or did it come with the hp version you ordered?
...Bob
I got the 3HP version and it comes with the 55gal bin. If you have enough headroom, I don't see why the 55gal wouldn't work for you as well.

John Bush
07-04-2005, 2:12 AM
Hi Kurt,
Congratulations on the new DC. Your lungs will thank you forever. I'm in the process of installing my 2hp model this weekend. I built an attached room (41/2'X61/2')to house the unit and I will attach it to the wall inside the shed and open the wall to extend the main into the shop. I was going to add a rubber shim/vibration damper between the wall and the mounting board as a precaution. How noisy is the unit and does it vibrate much? The blower housing with motor is heavy and I wouldn't want to remount to either add or take out the dampers. I have plenty of ceiling heigth and was planning on building a cart with larger wheels to tote the dust to our compost pile but I now see that the lid for the drum is securely latched to the drum. It may be better to use a 55 gal drum and just build a cart for it. What are your thoughts? Have you planned for auto blast gates? There seem to be a few choices but haven't researched much yet. Also, I will be opening the wall for return air and was wondering what the exhaust volume is like. Thanks for your info, and keep us informed on how the unit is working. Thanks, and Good luck, John.

Kurt Voss
07-04-2005, 2:00 PM
1. How noisy is the unit and does it vibrate much?
2. It may be better to use a 55 gal drum and just build a cart for it. What are your thoughts?
3. Have you planned for auto blast gates?

Thanks John.
1. I can't give you a decibel level, but it's about the same noise level as a router or RAS. Vibration is minimal, more than a table saw though.
2. The 55 gal drum it comes with is larger in diameter and shorter than a "standard" 55 gal drum, so although it could be done, a new bin cover would have to be made. The bin that come with it comes with 4 swiveling casters to roll it - works well.
3. I made my blast gates following the ideas from Terry Hatfield (http://www.terryhatfield.com), (link) they work great and were MUCH less expensive than ready made ones. Mine aren't automated. The Grizzly DC does come with a handy IR remote that stows easily in a shirt or apron pocket.

I'm very pleased with mine so far and the LOML is excited to have a source of sawdust for her gardening.