PDA

View Full Version : New router connection problems

Mike Null
07-07-2014, 5:20 PM
I just bought a Net Gear 6250 router to replace an old Linksys which had been provided by T-Mobile. All of our 7 computers are on the network and working much better than before but the problem is that my HP4000 printer and my engraver, both using an Ethernet connection will not work.

I suspect that there is something blocking them or that a pathway hasn't been configured correctly but I am not at all knowledgeable about such things and could use some help.

Graham Wintersgill
07-07-2014, 6:17 PM
Mike

Just had a look at the manual and it only has 4 ports so is there another router or switch somewhere?

It could also be that the 2 pieces of equipment have been assigned a static ip address, may need to plug your old router in to find out.

Graham

David Masters
07-07-2014, 6:43 PM
Just a guess, but did you make sure that the printer/engraver were on the same IP subnet? Generally, printers are set to use a static IP address, rather than grab one from DHCP. When replacing a router, the default IP subnet might be different (192.168.1.1 vs. 192.168.0.1). If the printer/engraver are set to the old static IP address, they might be blocked from seeing the network (I can give a more detailed explanation if needed.) If you change the static IP, you might have to go back into the printer driver to change the IP address as well. Desktops generally call DHCP in the router to obtain an IP address, so they wouldn't be affected by the router swap.

If the new router is using a different subnet by default, it might be easier to change the subnet in the router settings.

Dave

Mike Null
07-08-2014, 7:00 AM
You have nailed it. Thanks for the help.

Ole Anderson
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I have the same problem after Comcast changed out my modem/router. When I get home I will see if this fix works. Thanks.