PDA

View Full Version : Manual focus gauge

David John Evans
07-07-2014, 6:55 AM
Hi all I'm looking for a manual focus gauge for my engraver can anyone tell me where I can get one from. The people who I did use in Australia don't sell Epilog any more.
Thanks David

Jerome Stanek
07-07-2014, 7:49 AM
make your own you have the laser and can make one that is more exact to your laser then the ones they sell. use the angled test to get an exact measurement.

Chris J Anderson
07-08-2014, 1:41 AM
Hi David,
Alfex CNC are the new Epilog distributors in Oz, just in case you needed to know that.

Cheers,
Chris

David John Evans
07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Chris
I did find that out just Monday I hope they do as mine has a few grey hairs now just like me getting a bit old.
Jerome
Happy to give this a go but what is angled test, it may be something that the experience engraver knows but I'm still learning the lingo.
David

Jerome Stanek
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Set a piece of MDF or wood with one end higher than the other and cut a line from the low piont tothe high point and see where your cut is the thinnest and best. move your head to that point and measure to a given spot on your head cut a gauge to that dimension. Just make sure that when you set it up that there is enough clearance between your head and the MDF

Mitchell Tutty
07-08-2014, 6:47 PM
If you're anything like me and have lost your manual focus gauge at least a dozen times, I have some advice. Check the fridge, mines shown up there twice. My habit of making coffee whilst a job is running is quite costly on the misplacing of my gauge.

But in all seriousness, Alfex CNC are incredible on the support side of things. Well, at least out of their Melbourne office. Give them a call, I'm sure they'll sort you out with a new one or at least point you in the right direction.

Michael Hunter
07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
When you get your replacement gauge, make a little holder for it inside the cabinet.
Mine sits on a ply "tongue" at the back of the beam - I have never lost it since I made this!

David Somers
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Mitchell,

Are we related by any chance? Things I lose seem to end up in the fridge as well. My wife is amused, mostly, in a vague, worried kind of way. <grin> Of course, in my defense I have never placed Coqi Frogs or Jackson Chameleons in the freezer like my wife has. Those were 2 of many invasive species where we used to live. Rather than kill them outright she would put them in ZipLocks in the freezer till they died. More humane she said. Except she would forget they were in there. I would find them if I were cooking supper. Once she asked me to just "grab something from the freezer" and cook supper. I lost all my survival skills and did just that. Picture a nice french fish head soup with chameleons and frogs instead of fish heads? The fact that I had an "alternate" meal ready to serve did not lessen the impact...I should clarify....it didn't lessen the impact on me. Sigh. Lost keys, or lost focusing gauges in the fridge seem pretty mellow in comparison.

<grin>

Dave

David John Evans
07-09-2014, 7:58 PM
I never hand the gauge as it was 2nd hand unit, but a good idea for the holder. I was given a price of under $30 so I will get one and keep it away from the fridge.
David

Bert Kemp
07-09-2014, 9:45 PM
When you get your replacement gauge, make a little holder for it inside the cabinet.
Mine sits on a ply "tongue" at the back of the beam - I have never lost it since I made this!

I use velcro and stick it right on the front of the door