PDA

View Full Version : Question about double layer vinyl graphics

Jim Mackell
07-06-2014, 4:04 PM
I'm involved in a project where we are applying a black vinyl graphic. We then apply a slightly smaller gold vinyl graphic on top. The effect of course is a gold graphic with a black border. A cursory search of the internet leads me to believe that most graphic printers could do the alignment for us and we would just be applying one piece of vinyl that is already both thicknesses. Is the cost of such a double thick graphic that much more than two singles? Or am I completely misunderstanding the whole topic?

Joe Pelonio
07-06-2014, 9:41 PM
A shop with large format printer could print and cut it for you, but the cost will be more than your method, and not last as long as applying the black to the substrate, then the gold on top. This does not work well with less opaque top colors such as Primrose Yellow, which darkens when on black. Alignment is easy. What I have always done is to include two + marks spaced apart depending on the size of the graphics, in a heavy font like Arial Bold close to but above the graphic. Then include thm when you cut each color. After taping, cut the gold horizontally at the top edge of the + + and apply so that they are on top of the black + +. The peel the alignment marks off. After 10+ years of practice I usually didn't even bother with alignment marks, and could eyeball it with most graphics.

Jim Mackell
07-11-2014, 4:04 AM
Joe, thanks for the reply. Sorry to be so long in getting back to this, been dealing with a kidney stone. Let me see if I understand you. Our black layer consists of the peeloff backing, the black vinyl and the protective overlay. The gold layer is similiar. We have been applying the black to the substrate and then peeling off the protective overlay and then applying the gold on top of the black. Are you saying that the gold should be applied to the black first? Jim

Scott Shepherd
07-11-2014, 8:12 AM
Joe, thanks for the reply. Sorry to be so long in getting back to this, been dealing with a kidney stone. Let me see if I understand you. Our black layer consists of the peeloff backing, the black vinyl and the protective overlay. The gold layer is similiar. We have been applying the black to the substrate and then peeling off the protective overlay and then applying the gold on top of the black. Are you saying that the gold should be applied to the black first? Jim

You can do it either way, on the substrate or off. If we have the job in house, we tend to do it on the substrate, but some times people order multi color items and we have to deliver the ready to apply decal to them, so we have to do it off the substrate.

Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done.

Hope you managed with the kidney stone okay.

Dan Hintz
07-11-2014, 4:22 PM
Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done.

Showoff ;)

Jim Mackell
07-12-2014, 1:56 PM
You can do it either way, on the substrate or off. If we have the job in house, we tend to do it on the substrate, but some times people order multi color items and we have to deliver the ready to apply decal to them, so we have to do it off the substrate. Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done. Hope you managed with the kidney stone okay. Scott, thanks for the reply. Since this is something entirely new to me I want to be sure I understand what you mean. When you say, "Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done." does that mean you (as the printer) are applying color 2 on top of color 1 and then I (the ultimate customer who is dealing with the substrate) apply the resulting double thick decal? Kidney stones can be fun if you're fond of ER visits, IV drugs and lasers being inserted into places you shudder to think about! But all seems to be well now. Jim

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2014, 2:04 PM
Scott, thanks for the reply. Since this is something entirely new to me I want to be sure I understand what you mean. When you say, "Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done." does that mean you (as the printer) are applying color 2 on top of color 1 and then I (the ultimate customer who is dealing with the substrate) apply the resulting double thick decal? Kidney stones can be fun if you're fond of ER visits, IV drugs and lasers being inserted into places you shudder to think about! But all seems to be well now. Jim

Jim, all colors are printed on a single layer of print receptive white vinyl. Then you run it through a laminator which puts a clear, protective coating over the entire sheet. Next it goes to the plotter, where the individual shapes are cut out, all at one time. You just remove all the waste that's not part of your graphic and you're all set.

As you can see, the print has registration marks and a bar code. The plotter reads those and knows where to cut. It cuts out around all the places you want cut.

Here's something coming off the printer and then the end result :

p.s. I feel your pain. Did the kidney stone thing 2 months ago. Forget water boarding people for info, just give them a kidney stone, they'll talk :)

Dan Hintz
07-12-2014, 4:04 PM
Scott, thanks for the reply. Since this is something entirely new to me I want to be sure I understand what you mean. When you say, "Now, we just print the colors, laminate, then cut it and we're done." does that mean you (as the printer) are applying color 2 on top of color 1 and then I (the ultimate customer who is dealing with the substrate) apply the resulting double thick decal? Kidney stones can be fun if you're fond of ER visits, IV drugs and lasers being inserted into places you shudder to think about! But all seems to be well now. Jim

Steve has recently taken possession of a new toy in his shop which allows him to do decals in a print-on-demand fashion(think giant inkjet)... us mere mortals must layer single-color sheets.

Jim Mackell
07-12-2014, 4:52 PM
Scott, Dan and Joe, thank you all for taking the time to educate me.

Joe Pelonio
07-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Are you saying that the gold should be applied to the black first? Jim

No, I recommend they way you are doing it. It's easier to apply it without air bubbles if both are applied to the substrate.

Joe Pelonio
07-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I too had a kidney stone, 22 years ago and I remember it well. There is no pain that can compare, including ruptured appendix which I have also had.