Emergence

from Calabash Zia series

Dennis Nagle
07-06-2014, 4:47 PM
I don't know what I am looking at.

charlie knighton
07-06-2014, 6:58 PM
Dennis, thanks for looking

if you are Christian, you read the bible, Genesis, chapter 1, verse 1......In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

if you are pre-contact man you also had beliefs.....one of which tells of "Sipapu", the place where the people emerged from the earth. the earth is the 4th world and the other three are.................I am still not clear where these other worlds are/were

the prewter signifies the void....before there was something.......the other colors signfy release of energy....sort of like a blacksmiths fire......white, blue, red.....

the hole is the emergence

Duane Meadows
07-06-2014, 9:01 PM
Hmm... could of did without the explanation! That's the part of "art" I will never understand.

robert baccus
07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Do or do not, there is no try.----???? Have you ever had dealings with an alligator?

charlie knighton
07-07-2014, 6:36 AM
Duane and Robert....thank you both for your comments

Pat Scott
07-07-2014, 9:28 AM
I'm not sure why you're saying this piece is part of a Calabash series, because that's not a calabash shape.

Prashun Patel
07-07-2014, 9:41 AM
Is this a riddle or a test? Something seems off in the presentation and descriptions.
Can you post some more pictures? I am intrigued.

- Precontact Man.

Michael Kellough
07-07-2014, 2:20 PM
Is this a riddle or a test? Something seems off in the presentation and descriptions.
Can you post some more pictures? I am intrigued.

- Precontact Man.

Agree. This looks like a cell phone photo. No focus and inadequate lighting.

If you have something worth showing at least take a decent photo. It might actually be something interesting...

charlie knighton
07-07-2014, 2:52 PM
thank you for your comments Pat, Prashun, and Michael sorry my photo skills are not better. I would invite you to attend the Virginia Woodturning Symposium. I will try to remember to bring this one for the instant gallery. you will enjoy remarking on the tool marks on the inside of the form.

http://www.virginiawoodturners.com/symposium/symposium_info_home.htm

John Keeton
07-07-2014, 3:54 PM
Guys, go a little easy! Not everyone has a photo booth setup or a way to take gallery quality pics. Likewise, not everyone turns items that are like everything else you see. Charlie admittedly strikes out on his own and that is a quality to be admired. If it doesn't appeal to you, then simply pass on commenting.

The creek is a supportive environment, and we encourage civility. If the OP seeks it, then offer constructive critique. He did not, so leave it be.

Thanks.

charlie knighton
07-07-2014, 4:14 PM
thanks John, if any one has constructive critique I will listen

Dennis Nagle
07-07-2014, 4:30 PM
I like the shape and color. What is it turned from?

charlie knighton
07-07-2014, 4:35 PM
thanks Dennis for your comment

the wood is Bradford pear, the paints are acrylic thinned with dna, shot with an airbrush, a layer of gesso was applied between wood and paint

somehow I have never seen Binh Pho do a rotation, I have talked with him via email one time on another matter, he is on the bucket list of things to do

I have seen Nick Agar and even was his demonstrator assistant for one rotation in tampa

bob svoboda
07-07-2014, 4:50 PM
Charlie, Not sure I always understand your work, but I admire your creativity and it's nice to see things that don't adhere to the strict rules that some seem to think prevail. Good Job!

charlie knighton
07-07-2014, 5:26 PM
thanks Bob for your comment

Michael Kellough
07-08-2014, 4:35 PM
John and Charlie I do apologize for the harshness of my comments on quality of the photo.
It seems to me that digital photography is so effortless...but I learned photography 40 years ago so my perspective may be skewed.

It was frustrating, after reading the elaborate description of the piece (without logging on so the photo wasn't available),
to then log on and still not get a clear picture of the thing.

I'd never criticize the the work someone made by hand. We are all different with varying traditions, tastes, and skills.
I enjoy seeing work that is different.

Charlie I hope you can take some time to improve your photos because I am interested in seeing what you've done.

charlie knighton
07-08-2014, 4:56 PM
Michael, no offense taken, more than you have commented on photos......I have taken some beginner classes, but my camera only does so much, it is an Olympus with 12 megapixel, fe-46......I imagine others with the same camera can do better.....as far as phones go I am on my orginal tracfone, still have not figured out the message thingy, mostly it stays off and I use it to call on trips......not sure where you are located but you may enjoy the Virginia woodturning symposium....we will have a great instant gallery, interesting demostrators, I will be selling raffle tickets, many prizes if you win the raffle, no banquet, and an interesting venue