PDA

View Full Version : Handtool ergonomic issues following a stroke

David Barnett
07-05-2014, 10:24 PM
For those who missed my 'announcement' as to where I've been the last month, read my post in the 'Announcements" section where it was moved. (I've never read 'Announcements' before tonight. Does anyone?)

At any rate, I'm intending to post about ergonomic issues, adaptations and innovations as I work on redeveloping and recovering handtool skills. Working from a seated position will be the first challenge and there will be others to follow. Any ideas or experiences are welcome and requested.

Thanks.

Jim Koepke
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
David,

I wish you well in your efforts to overcome the challenges you face.

I have what are comparatively minor inconvenience of mild carpal tunnel, arthritis and injuries.

The only experience based ideas I can offer is to learn to adapt yourself to any physical restrictions and work with medical therapists to regain all that you can and to work with, around and through any limitations you face.

Good luck and Godspeed healing,

jtk

Tony Wilkins
07-06-2014, 2:29 AM
I couldn't even find announcements so I don't know exactly what you have going on but I do hope you well in recovery. As for working seated, at times it isn't as much of a problem as I feared and at other times it's down right impossible. Just be prepared to take things as they come and accept where your are each day. Make sure you have a firm base/seat under you for things like planing. If you're in a wheelchair come in at a 45* angle and adjust as comfortable from there (and set the brake).

Good luck man.

David Barnett
07-06-2014, 2:54 AM
I couldn't even find announcements so I don't know exactly what you have going on but I do hope you well in recovery.

Thanks, Tony. At least it's not chronic pain like you've endured, but the mobility issues are challenging nonetheless.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?219401-Well-I-m-back&p=2284997#post2284997

As for working seated, at times it isn't as much of a problem as I feared and at other times it's down right impossible. Just be prepared to take things as they come and accept where your are each day.

I've done some woodworking seated, of course, but planing large boards and panels is going to be tough until I lose weight and get more strength and stamina. I have help but want to do as much on my own as possible. One of my occupational therapists was a woodworker so we discussed a few strategies but his forte wasn't handtools.

Make sure you have a firm base/seat under you for things like planing. If you're in a wheelchair come in at a 45* angle and adjust as comfortable from there (and set the brake).

Good luck man.

Good advice. Actually, I'm hoping to lose the wheelchair before long, but we'll see. The thing's a 30" wide bariatric beast—a double wide—so it doesn't fit easily in most of my house.

Lots to learn.

David Barnett
07-06-2014, 3:03 AM
I wish you well in your efforts to overcome the challenges you face.

Thanks, Jim. It's going to be a learning experience, that's for sure.

The only experience based ideas I can offer is to learn to adapt yourself to any physical restrictions and work with medical therapists to regain all that you can and to work with, around and through any limitations you face.

I plan to do that as best I can. Good advice. I'm going to proceed cautiously and not try to do it all at once.

Good luck and Godspeed healing,

Again, thanks.