PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw drift

Howard Metz
05-23-2003, 8:02 PM
I've been ripping 1/8 inch thick strips from 2 inch stock on my 24 inch bandsaw using a regular ½ inch blade with no significant drift (maybe .002 inches per foot) when I switch to a 1 inch Trimaster blade without adjusting the fence I get a drift of about .060 inches per foot. Checked the top and bottom guide and they are set per machines manual and blade is perpendicular to table.
I'm a new band saw user and do not know if it is normal or not to have such a variance in drift between blades?
Is there any chance that the blade is defective?
If not, I assume the next step is to adjust the fence to eliminate the drift?
Seems strange to me that the ½ inch blade cuts perfectly with my having to make any adjustments to the new saw and that the 1 inch bade is so far off. Also Lonie Bird in his Bandsaw Book states that smaller blades are more likely to drift than wider blades.

Thanks

Howard

Joe Tonich
05-23-2003, 8:17 PM
On my Delta 14" every blade cuts differently. I adjust the fence every time I change blades.

Joe

Paul Kunkel
05-24-2003, 9:43 PM
If you'll go to my site you'll find a pictorial on following a line which I posted here months ago. Every blade tracks differently; feed rates, wood, tooth set, H**L - your mood will make it not work. Follow the line and you'll be happy:)