PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Outdoor TV Antenna Mount

Dan Mages
07-05-2014, 4:39 PM
Hi All.

I have joined the ranks of people who have killed the cable box in favor of streaming and broadcast TV. I am about to install an antenna, but I can use some advice on the mount. Our house has a hip roof, so I do not have any gable ends to work with. Our best bet to mount the antenna is either a tripod at the ridge or a wall mount.

The wall mount will have a lesser chance of causing a leak, but there are some caveats. The original clapboards are covered with foam board and vinyl siding. I do not know if I can find a stud to bolt it to. Will the old wood clapboards and the plywood sheathing be enough to securely hold the antenna?

The Roof mount does have the advantage of greater height and flexibility on dialing in the location for the best signal, but I will have to put holes in the roof. I can also add bracing between the rafters for the lag bolts by going in the attic. Will a good dose of roof sealant be enough to seal the bolts and mount from leaking?

Which method do you think will be best? Are there any other methods or considerations, or advice on antenna installation?

Thanks for the help!!

Dan

Lee Schierer
07-05-2014, 7:48 PM
Years ago, I mounted our antenna inside the roof of the house where it is protected from the weather. It still looks like new. It is mounted on a rotor so we can change direction if we want to get better reception from Canada. I figured out what the free area was and bought the largest one that would fit and still be able to turn. Snow accumulation on the roof doesn't seem to affect the signal any.

Alan Bienlein
07-05-2014, 8:58 PM
I mounted a set of rabbit ears on the side of my shop to get TV reception and I get over 60 channels most of which I had to delete due to being in Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese.

Never did understand the need for those over priced so called "digital" antenna's.

Ed Aumiller
07-06-2014, 8:44 PM
What about an antenna tower.. can be as simple as pipe with a small cement base... works great.. no leaks.. can put anywhere you want...

Duane Meadows
07-06-2014, 9:08 PM
I mounted a set of rabbit ears on the side of my shop to get TV reception and I get over 60 channels most of which I had to delete due to being in Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese.

Never did understand the need for those over priced so called "digital" antenna's.

You are fortunate... That doesn't work everywhere!

Matt Meiser
07-06-2014, 9:27 PM
DirecTV doesn't find studs to mount a dish on the wall Just lags into the OSB. I did the same to mount a small antenna with a similar style J-bracket and both were plenty solid (took down the dish when we got cable but the antenna is still there.)

Dan Mages
07-10-2014, 8:01 PM
I settled on a roof mount tripod. I was hoping to try an attic mount first, but there is literally no way to get into the upper part of the attic. The only access is to lunge into a hole between two rafters, five feet above the lower level ceiling... and then crawl 3 feet. One day I might need to add an access panel for it. This also means that I will not be able to add bracing under the plywood. Will lag screws in plywood be enough?

Dan