PDA

View Full Version : Automatic washing machine shutoff valve.

Tony Sade
07-04-2014, 8:51 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation for one of these valves. Any one have experience with one they'd recommend and that's DIY friendly. (I can manage basic plumbing.)

Thanks.

Jim Matthews
07-05-2014, 7:44 AM
I thought about the same, but opted for a manual shutoff instead.

It's an additional manifold that operates with a simple lever.
You only turn the water on when washing, and shut it off when you empty the tub.

There is a newer version that uses the flow of water during the wash cycle to run a mechanical clock.
Its default position is closed (NC) and it requires no electrical power.

Were I to replace my current shut off, this would top my list.

http://homefixated.com/timeout-automatic-shut-off-valve/

Jim Becker
07-05-2014, 9:21 PM
I don't know the brand we have, but we do have an automatic shutoff-system...our laundry is on the second floor and while there is a pan with a drain, having the automatic valve is nice. We did have to make some kind of accommodation/adjustment to the setup (I don't recall what at this point) to stop an issue that our LG Steamwasher was having with the auto-valve, however.

Mike Cutler
07-06-2014, 7:48 AM
Tony
It's sounds like Jim has the same setup as I do. If so, it was nothing exotic it's just a manual shutoff with a mechanical free flow check valve. Set the spring pressure on the check for normal washer fill up and any excess flow slams the check valve shut.It took a time of two to get it setup 20 years ago.
Mine is a simple mechanical device, but there has to be better stuff available now. I'd talk to a licensed plumber, or go to a "real" plumbing supply store and ask.