PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dye off of Vinyl Floor?

Russ Filtz
07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
My daughter got some hair dye on a bathroom vinyl tile. Tried almost everything, goof-off, mineral spirits, alcohol, polishing compound. Don't have any fingernail plish remover, would that work?

I can't just replace the tile easily either as the toilet sets on it!

Wes Bischel
07-02-2005, 1:26 PM
If you know the manufacturer, call them. If not, call Armstrong:

1-800-233-3823
Monday-Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm ET

Good luck, that's a hard one to get out.

Wes

PS Or you could have your daughter replace it! ;)

Jason Roehl
07-02-2005, 2:56 PM
Do you know the ingredients of the hair dye? If you can find those out (you may have to contact the manufacturer for an MSDS, they have to provide that), then you may be able to figure out what solvent(s) is(are) in it. Being on vinyl, you would probable want to use a highly volatile solvent so that it can't sit on the vinyl very long (and start to dissolve/soften it), and you would want to put the solvent on a rag, then wipe, not pour it directly on the tile. Ventilation and lack of ignition sources would also be highly recommended. As a SWAG, I would say something like lacquer thinner, high-strength ammonia or acetone would be some good possibilities.

Norman Hitt
07-02-2005, 3:35 PM
Russ, my wife is a Cosmetology teacher (for the last 40 some odd years), and she says "GOOD LUCK". :( She says they spray Hair spray on it if it gets on clothing Or cloth and that "sometimes" works, otherwise you might try Ammonia, and if that doesn't work, you're probably out of luck. I know this isn't the answer you wanted but hopefully one of them will work for you.