PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Pullouts

Peter Stahl
07-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Thinking of putting pullout bins in a couple cabinets. I don't think a pullout shelf would work, stuff would fall off of it. Please post pics of what you did and what type of hinges you use. I have Blum compact hinges on face frame cabinets and was thinking of using side mount slides. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

scott vroom
07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Thinking of putting pullout bins in a couple cabinets. I don't think a pullout shelf would work, stuff would fall off of it. Please post pics of what you did and what type of hinges you use. I have Blum compact hinges on face frame cabinets and was thinking of using side mount slides. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

It sounds like you're describing drawers? Are you saying you want deep drawers (bins) behind a door?

Peter Stahl
07-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes it is Scott. I assumed pullouts were some type of shelf or box with slides.

scott vroom
07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes it is Scott. I assumed pullouts were some type of shelf or box with slides.

Peter, what will your bins hold? Will they be wire or wood? Do you want to access them by first opening a hinged door and then pulling out the bins, or will traditional drawers meet the need? Really need a more complete description of your objective; pics from the web would be helpful.

Peter Stahl
07-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Scott, I was thinking 1/2 plywood built like traditional drawers behind hinged doors. Drawer/bins will hold plastic ware, pots, pans, lids, etc.

Larry Copas
07-04-2014, 1:07 PM
I used 1/2" baltic birch. For the pullouts to be used for cookware, I put laminate on the bottom so they would clean easy and resist denting. Blum slides with full extension on the top pullout and 3/4 extension on the larger, easy to see in bottom pullouts.

When you order hardware don't forget bumpers on the pullout to push the door out of the way if not opened fully.

After using for a year one of the better ideas in a kitchen I think.

Judson Green
07-04-2014, 4:26 PM
The thing about pull-outs (and I'm talking about anything that slides out of a cabinet, yet is behide doors) they require lots of movement on behalf of the user and they take up quite a bit of room in the cabinet. I know people like em, I do too when done right, but frankly many times just drawers or doors with shelfs behind them are better.

Just my 2¢

William C Rogers
07-04-2014, 9:28 PM
I think pull outs have their place. Pull outs to me are much better than shelves in lower cabinets. Drawers are nice also but you need to make the sides much larger than a pull out and make a drawer front. In my last house the cabinet style was a top drawer with doors below. I installed pull outs in each cabinet and that was much better. For the house I am building I built cabinets with drawers and the cabinets with doors are more special use such as mixer storage, cutting board storage, so no pull outs in the kitchen. However I did build a single pantry cabinet that has two bottom drawers, 8 pull outs, and two cabinets at the top. Size is 6 x 8 ft tall.
For your question I used Blum hinges and KV slides. The thing to keep in mind 1/2" overlay on the hinges is too small. This allows the door when opened extend past the face frame and interferes with the pull outs. Use at least 3/4 overlay. Pull out box was 5/8 maple with 1/2 maple plywood bottom.

Alan Bienlein
07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Here is what I did to one cabinet in our kitchen that we weren't sure what we were going to store in it when I built them. All the other base cabinets are drawers and the wife loves them!

The drawers are made from 1/2" birch ply I got from Home Depot and I used dove tail joints to make them. The slides are the longest full extension slides that will fit in the cabinet. 24" long if I recall correctly.

The slides are mounted to vertical wooden spacers that have 5 mm holes drilled about 1-1/2" apart so that the space between drawers can be changed as needed just by unscrewing the slide and mounting it in the desired hole.

Moses Yoder
07-05-2014, 4:53 AM
In the kitchen I designed for myself I went with all drawers in the base cabinets except for the corner lazy susans. The lazy susan doors will be arranged to look like corner drawer stacks. I have yet to build this kitchen and use it but with a pullout you lose space due to having to miss the door hinges. In a big kitchen this is not an issue but in a small house with small kitchen every inch counts.

Peter Stahl
07-05-2014, 6:56 AM
Thanks for all the information so far please keep the replies coming.

Bill Huber
07-05-2014, 9:46 AM
Pull-outs are what got me into woodworking, we moved into a new house to down size and the cabinets were just standard cheap cabinets. The lower cabinets had a shelf in them and to get anything off the shelf you had to get on your hands and knees to see what you were doing. So at this point I had to do something, and a pull-out was the only thing I could think of.

I checked on the net and they wanted like $70 each for a pull-out and that is when I thought well I could make those myself and did.

Not really knowing what I was doing I made the box out of 3/4" plywood with edge banding, 1/2" bottoms and used the cheap slides all of it came from Home Depot.

From reading on the net the slides connected to the face frame which I really didn't like so I made a bridge in the cabinet and used L brackets to mount the slides, this has worked out really well. I made a bridge in front and one in the back to mount the L brackets to. The bridge is just pine screwed to the side of the cabinet and then one across the top screwed and glued to the side boards.

The bottom pull-out has the L brackets just mounted to the bottom of the cabinet.

I do like the way Alan did it, it would be nice to have a way to raise and lower them and set the height the way you wanted after you installed them.

We have been in this house for 9 years and the pull-outs are doing great and if I tried to take them out my wife would have me shot.

scott vroom
07-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Ahhh...I think I misunderstood. Peter, are you retrofitting existing shelf & door base cabinets? For some reason, I assumed these were new cabs that you were building. For existing cabs it makes perfect sense to replace fixed shelving with pull outs on lowers.

If new construction, my preference would be to design drawer lowers rather than pull outs behind doors.

Alan Bienlein
07-05-2014, 10:56 AM
In the kitchen I designed for myself I went with all drawers in the base cabinets except for the corner lazy susans. The lazy susan doors will be arranged to look like corner drawer stacks. I have yet to build this kitchen and use it but with a pullout you lose space due to having to miss the door hinges. In a big kitchen this is not an issue but in a small house with small kitchen every inch counts.

Or you can do that corner cabinet like one I did recently.

Peter Stahl
07-05-2014, 8:00 PM
Ahhh...I think I misunderstood. Peter, are you retrofitting existing shelf & door base cabinets? For some reason, I assumed these were new cabs that you were building. For existing cabs it makes perfect sense to replace fixed shelving with pull outs on lowers.

If new construction, my preference would be to design drawer lowers rather than pull outs behind doors.

Scott, It is a retrofit. Guess I need more info when I post. Just like Bill, getting down on the floor to find something is a pain. I'm actually using Blumotion compact hinges which stick out less than a 1/2 inch so side mount slides like KV 8450FM sides on the drawers should work.

Peter Stahl
07-05-2014, 8:02 PM
Or you can do that corner cabinet like one I did recently.

Those would be some tricky drawers to make. I saw the blumotion slides in their literature for them, don't know if I would ever try them.

Alan Bienlein
07-05-2014, 8:53 PM
Those would be some tricky drawers to make. I saw the blumotion slides in their literature for them, don't know if I would ever try them.

We used a 26" long side mount full extension slides as they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for the blum slides. It's very easy to do this style of drawer.

scott vroom
07-06-2014, 1:54 PM
We used a 26" long side mount full extension slides as they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for the blum slides. It's very easy to do this style of drawer.

I dunno....I kinda prefer corner susans that I can spin too fast, causing bottles and cans to topple off the shelf in the back corner, giving me the perfect opportuity to curse :D

glenn bradley
07-06-2014, 2:08 PM
Made some for LOML. then her mom, then me. In my world, once folks have them they can't figure out why they didn't get them sooner.

292460 . 292457 . 292458

I even carries the general concept into a fixture in my kitchen.

Tony Haukap
07-06-2014, 7:13 PM
I don't think a pullout shelf would work, stuff would fall off of it.
I have a few pull-out shelves in my workbench where I keep some commonly used tools...
http://i61.tinypic.com/2w4xwlz.jpg_http://i61.tinypic.com/n2io0k.jpg
I too thought I might need something more than just a lip to keep stuff from falling off, but I have never had any problem with it and it's just a 3/4" high lip around all 4 sides.

Peter Stahl
07-07-2014, 5:57 AM
Thanks for pics Glenn & Tony. That's what I want to do but maybe higher sides on them.

Mike Goetzke
07-07-2014, 10:10 AM
This is ours:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Complete/IMG_0596_zps1f133abe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mbg/media/Projects/Kitchen/Complete/IMG_0596_zps1f133abe.jpg.html)

(no peanut butter comments please)

Tony Haukap
07-07-2014, 7:48 PM
I almost forgot I keep my spare surface planer in another workbench on a pull-out shelf...
http://i62.tinypic.com/23t35tf.jpg
It uses under mount sliders, 3 of them, only problem is I made the shelf a little too wide and the doors need to be opened a full 180-degrees to be able to pull it out.
The planer is heavy, but distributing the weight over the 3 sliders seems to help a lot.

William C Rogers
07-08-2014, 7:23 AM
Here is a picture of the 6'X8' pantry cabinet I built. This one will go into the pantry room. I am just now nearing completion of my house and will post pictures of my kitchen cabinets soon. I used KV slides on this cabinet. Kind of a hardware gloat, I got 14 pair brand new KV full extension slides off CL for $20 and used them for the laundry room cabinets. I used Blum soft close for the kitchen cabinets.