PDA

View Full Version : Rods to Feet coversion

Bob Weisner
07-02-2005, 9:53 AM
Hi:

Does anyone know what 3 rods would equal in feet? It is for measuring a road.

Thanks,

Jim Becker
07-02-2005, 10:22 AM
http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Metric/number-rods-feet.html

You can "Google" just about anything, Bob... ;)

Bob Weisner
07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Jim:

Thanks.

Jason Roehl
07-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Man, Jim, you beat me to it.

But I wouldn't have needed Google for this particular one. My late grandfather always told me that an acre of land was "a rod by a half-mile." So, of course, that begged the question from me of what a rod was: 16.5 feet. Recently, I've also learned that a rod is half of a chain, but that's all I remember. There are larger units that are multiple of the rod and chain, all used in surveying jargon. Now I understand why my city lot is 66 feet wide by 120 feet long (I suspect the missing 12 feet on length is lost to right-of-way and alley).

Ken Garlock
07-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Bob. You can use the Google Calculator (http://www.google.com/help/features.html#calculator)

You can, from the main search menu, type in '3 rods in feet' and get 49.5 feet. It is a pretty neat feature of Google. A famous one to try is "speed of light in furlongs per fortnight.' :cool:

Michael Perata
07-02-2005, 1:34 PM
Hi Bob. You can use the Google Calculator (http://www.google.com/help/features.html#calculator)

You can, from the main search menu, type in '3 rods in feet' and get 49.5 feet. It is a pretty neat feature of Google. A famous one to try is "speed of light in furlongs per fortnight.' :cool:
the speed of light = 1.8026175 × 1012 furlongs per fortnight

Ken Garlock
07-02-2005, 5:16 PM
the speed of light = 1.8026175 × 1012 furlongs per fortnight

OK Michael, now try "e**(pi*i) =" :D

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 11:28 PM
OK Michael, now try "e**(pi*i) =" :D

In EE, we would have said: "e**(j*pi)"...and we would get -1! :)

Randy Meijer
07-03-2005, 3:26 AM
.....I've also learned that a rod is half of a chain.....Now I understand why my city lot is 66 feet wide by 120 feet long (I suspect the missing 12 feet on length is lost to right-of-way and alley)......

Actually, the reason your lot is short is because the surveyor used "your chain!!" A true chain is 66' long or 4 rods!!!

Don't know about your part of the world; but in Texas alleys are generally only 10 or 12 feet wide and many residential streets are 24'. I'm guessing your lot is measured from the center of your street or maybe there was a taking for a road widening.....doubt you lost that much depth to an alley; but almost anything is possible??

Jason Roehl
07-03-2005, 8:09 AM
Randy, I stand corrected. Somewhere in there, I thought I had read about a unit of measure that was equal to two rods, and the first thing that came to mind was a chain. My property is actually bordered by a street and two alleys (and a neighbor). On the west is the street, not sure on width (not real wide, maybe 20'?), but there's a property-marking stake about 6' in from the street, just inside the sidewalk, on the NW corner of the property. On the south is a gravel alley, then on the east is a grass alley, which my neighbor mows and maintains. My garage actually encroaches on this alley slightly, but the title company insured against this. So, I'm sure the width goes from the property stake to one chain south, landing somewhere in the gravel alley, I just don't know where things go between the street and the grass alley.

Now I'm really interested...I think I have a survey in the files somewhere...