PDA

View Full Version : New lathe purchase (Advice?)

Tom Ondek
07-03-2014, 1:08 PM
I am in the market for a new lathe. My aim is to produce baseball bats now 5-10 a week and leave the posibility open for 5 each day. I've had extensive contact with a Minimax rep but am having trouble finding a heavy duty middle of the road (price wise) production copy lathe. So the Minimax T124 is the front runner.

I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a lathe of this type? Around 40 inch base, 3 inch diameter, built for higher production copy lathe as opposed to a fully automatic or fully manual machine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Reed Gray
07-03-2014, 2:49 PM
Well, the only other brand I can suggest would be Laguna. They do have production type lathes for spindle work, and duplicators, but don't really know about that type of lathe.

robo hippy

Shawn Pachlhofer
07-03-2014, 3:57 PM
I remember seeing a production (copy) lathe of this type on Craigslist for months. Maybe in Dallas, Tx. The guy was using it to make bats.

I haven't looked in a while, but might be worth searching for.

Tony Rozendaal
07-03-2014, 9:05 PM
What about the Vega?

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/

Harry Robinette
07-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Tony is right, American made been around a while have one of the best copy lathes ever made if you check out people in the production shops.