PDA

View Full Version : Jet table saw fence question...

Jack Jackson
07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
So I bought an older model Jet SuperSaw not long ago. It had the Microglide fence on it that I'm not crazy about. Long story short, I got a pretty good deal on a brand new Jet Xacta II commercial fence and am now trying to figure out how to make it fit my saw.
My saw is model JWSS-10SPF, and it has the sliding table on it. The main obstacle is the the sliding table is mounted to the rails instead of the cast iron top... so whatever the replacement is will also have to support the sliding table.

So, anyone have any experience with changing out the fence/rails on this saw or similar with the Xacta II or other Beisemeyer-style fence system? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated... For those that aren't familiar there is a small bracket that interfaces between the rails and the sliding table that has a couple of screws that are used to level the sliding table in relation to the main cabinet top. I can post pictures is anyone thinks that might help.

Thanks

-Jack

Mike Cutler
07-03-2014, 6:56 PM
Jack

I think you're going to need to post a pic.
I have an early to mid 90's Jet with an Xacta fence. The rail(s) material is actually a pretty mild steel and can easily be cut, drilled, and tapped. You may just have to fabricate your own.
Mine has been modified a time or two for my needs. I'm certain you could modify yours.

Jack Jackson
07-04-2014, 9:23 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll try to post some later tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to take some pictures...

Jack Jackson
07-05-2014, 2:49 AM

Here are a couple of pictures... I was thinking I would have to "manufacture" something but was hoping someone had experience with a similar saw and knew of a particular set of rails that were more "turn key".
In the picture of the back of the saw (pic on the left) you can see the two bolts that attach the back rail to the sliding table. There is a small bracket that those bolts go through then the bracket holds the table up. I guess I just need to get a generic set of rails and drill to fit..? Thanks for any input.
One more thing... could I make the rail out of aluminum so I wouldn't have to worry about rust or is it not stout enough to withstand the fence being tightened and loosened constantly?..