PDA

View Full Version : Stanley rules

Moses Yoder
07-02-2014, 7:05 PM
What year did Stanley start making the #33-312 (3/4" x 12' rule) in plastic, or is the steel model number different from the plastic? Is there an easy way to tell if the case is steel or plastic? I am looking for a 3/4" x 12' rule with steel case to last me the rest of my life.

Bill Orbine
07-02-2014, 7:44 PM
What year did Stanley start making the #33-312 (3/4" x 12' rule) in plastic, or is the steel model number different from the plastic? Is there an easy way to tell if the case is steel or plastic? I am looking for a 3/4" x 12' rule with steel case to last me the rest of my life.

Why.......don't you want to live much longer?:D

I believe the metal case (die cast, not steel) are still made: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT_TAPES_POWERLOCK&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=33-312&SDesc=12%26%2339%3B+x+3%2F4%26%2334%3B+Heavy+Duty+ PowerLock%26%23174%3B+Tape+Rule+with+Metal+Case

I'm a Fat-Max guy so I don't know much about tapes..... however, in my trade, some guys I know claims that you can find these metal case tapes in small stores (like Mom and Pop Hardware Store). You 'll have no luck (or very little) at the big box stores.

Peter Quinn
07-02-2014, 8:02 PM
I have one of those, sits in a drawer, problem is the case may last the rest of my life, but the tape doesn't. Spring is shot, the tape is illegible from wear for the first 6-8 inches, mine is an oldie, but fro actual work I prefer the easy to read, easy to replace, and easy to find $4 yellow plastic stanley's from walmart. I hear rumors they used to sell new tape/recoil spring packs for the metal tapes, and they were about $.50 cheaper than a whole new tape. So I'm not much help, but are you sure you want a metal one? The future is in plastics......or you could try here (http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/stanley-33-312?cm_mmc=Channel_Intelligence-_-Manufacturer_Websites-_-STANLEY-_-33-312&srccode=cii_13422164&cpncode=35-26324738)....text says "extra strong metal case".

scott vroom
07-02-2014, 8:02 PM
In 25 years of residential remodeling I don't recall recall a single tape measure case breaking. The two primary failure modes for me are 1) bent hook from dropping, and 2) the tape cracking and eventually breaking....both due to user abuse. Several years ago I began using Tajima tapes, which when fully retracted provide protection against hook bending from dropping. Tajima's are high impact plastic and coated with rubber. I have no affiliation with Tajima, just love the design.

What activity is causing your plastic tape cases to fail?

Moses Yoder
07-02-2014, 8:23 PM
With a metal case the spring and tape are easily replaced and are worth the investment. With a plastic case this is not true; the tape measure is simply another disposable feature in a bleak world of unending plastic waves. It's just a personal preference, rebellion against the norm I guess. Thanks for the links, I have the Acme tape marked to buy.

william watts
07-02-2014, 8:24 PM
An easy test is with a magnet. You need to extend the rule to its full length to prevent the mass of the coiled rule from attracting the magnet then test on the outer side of the case. I just now tried this on my 33-312, and it works, they are plastic. The charts that were on the back of the old rule are also gone. My steel 33-312 went missing years ago. The newer plastic ones are really tough.

scott vroom
07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
I tried locating a relacement blade for the 33-312 and could not. Out of curiosity I called Stanley and was told they no longer offer a replacement blade; instead, the 33-312 has a lifetime warranty and that if the blade broke they'd replace the entire tape measure with a brand new 33-312 (you pay for return shipping to their North Carolina facility). But why would you even bother when you can buy a brand new one for $8 dollars? For me, the time and cost of packaging it and taking it to a UPS station and paying for cross country shipping isn't worth it.....I just toss em in the garbage when used up and buy a new one.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
I second the vote for a Fat Max, especially if you want the rule to last the rest of your life. Eventually, the numbers and grads will get too SMALL.......:)

lowell holmes
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I am confused. Are you calling tape measures rules?

They don't last forever. Now I have a Stanley 50' SS tape that looks like a surveyor's tape that lasts forever.

On my work bench, I use one of my Stanley 4-fold rules that are quite old and work great as long as I don't sit on one of them.

I use SS rules from Lee Valley a lot. Six foot folding carpenter's rules do well also. If you buy one and cut it in half, you have two folding yardsticks that work really well.

Peter Quinn
07-03-2014, 7:41 PM
I am confused. Are you calling tape measures rules?

Stanley is. They call them "Tape Rules", which I suppose is accurate enough for a device that is at best accurate enough.

lowell holmes
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I forgot that. They are tapes in my mind. I use them when I am at the lumber yard or working on a fence.

In the shop I use LV rules or the Stanley 4-fold's. I did use a tape when I built a new back door because it was the only thing I had long enough.
I did not perceive dimensional errors though. I guess I'm being a bit cantankerous.