PDA

View Full Version : Chipped router bit

Victor Robinson
07-02-2014, 6:16 PM
Chipped a router bit for the first time - a Freud Quadra cove and bead bit that was brand new except for this project. Was using it to make some small trim moldings with poplar. The wood was clean, and I'm positive I didn't hit any embedded metal or drop the bit or anything else silly. One of the blades has a 1x2 mm chunk missing at the edge. I'll post a pic shortly.

What's the protocol on this? Cost of doing business or should I be getting in touch with Freud? I have a collection of pretty decent bits (mostly Whiteside) in addition to some cheapies, and take good care of them. I've had paint chips here and there but never had a chip of the carbide before. I doubt it's affecting cut quality much as there are still 3 good wings, but it still kind of irks me that a brand new high quality bit chipped on its first project without an insult that I can find.

Robert Payne
07-02-2014, 6:29 PM
I would be surprised if Freud would not honor full replacement of the bit. I broke a 1/2" diameter solid carbide CMT bit several years ago while hogging out mortises in some PT SYP for fence posts and it was replaced without any questions by the distributor.

Steve Baumgartner
07-02-2014, 8:46 PM
Definitely worth contacting Freud or wherever you bought it - it is quite possible the carbide had a flaw that chipped out.

Bruce Wrenn
07-02-2014, 8:55 PM
If only one wing of the cutters is broken, then it's definitely a defect, unless it was dropped. If you hit something in the wood, both wings would show same damage. Had a screw on cutter do that once. Stuff happens!

Myk Rian
07-02-2014, 9:48 PM
I had a Freud bit with one cutter chipped. Freud replaced it.

glenn bradley
07-02-2014, 11:33 PM
I have received replacements in similar situations when contacting the maker.

Victor Robinson
07-03-2014, 2:38 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated - good to know this hopefully should be taken care of. I'll get in touch with Freud.

Ellen Benkin
07-04-2014, 4:21 PM
I had a Freud dado set and one of the teeth broke. Freud replaced the whole set and it was no problem and no questions were asked about how it happened. They really do honor their lifetime warranty.