PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes Style Platters

Steve Doerr
07-02-2014, 5:30 PM
Lately, I have been doing several Jimmy Clewes style platters. These are the most recent I have done in a total six at this time. The first two platters were turned from a piece of red oak that came from a tree that was at our high school that was destroyed by the Joplin tornado of 2011. The first one was a gift to the new high school that will be displayed in one of the trophy cases. The third platter is a piece of curly maple with the rim dyed blue using Chestnut dye. The fourth platter is a piece of quilted maple with the rim dyed red, blue and then red again using Chestnut dye. The platters range in size from 10 3/8” to 11 ¼” wide and 1 ½” to 1 7/8” high.
The first two were dipped in a blend of oil and then Beall buffed, the other two were sprayed with several coats of Deft lacquer and then Beall buffed. C&C welcomed.

292280 292281 292282 292283

Steve Plunkett
07-02-2014, 5:51 PM
Just beautiful!

Bill Hensley
07-02-2014, 6:36 PM
Not a slacker in the bunch. Well done!

John Keeton
07-02-2014, 7:21 PM
Nice work! Did you burn off the solvent like Jimmy does!?! Always makes for a neat show.

Hard to compare finishes with pics, but which finish did you prefer for the platters? I realize the oak will finish considerably different than will the maple, but I am curious of your thoughts.

jwjerry w kowalski
07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I like them all Steve, the quilted maple is my favorite though, it leaps out and grabs your attention.

BILL DONAHUE
07-03-2014, 8:22 PM
Nice work, mate! Jimmy would be proud.

Steve Doerr
07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. These style platters are really fun and easy to do.

John, not I did not light them up like Jimmy does. As far as the difference between the finishes, I definitely like the ease of dipping them in oil. However, I think that if you use dye there is no question that you have to go with the lacquer. The high gloss finish is a necessity. The lacquer is definitely more time consuming--spray several coats, sand smooth, re-spray several coats, sand smooth, wet sand and finally buff. Unfortunately, I'm still learning on how to do the lacquer more effectively.