PDA

View Full Version : Beveling nameplates

Jeff Chumbley
07-02-2014, 2:07 PM
Does anyone use a router table set up to bevel name plate edges? I am looking for suggestions for beveling nameplates. I will be doing large quantities usually .75" x 3" and up.

Thanks

Jeff

Mike Null
07-02-2014, 2:16 PM
Just my opinion but I wouldn't use the router table. First, it's more dangerous than a beveler. Second, you have to bevel upside down which risks scratching the item. Third, shop around for a used beveler--they're not that expensive.

David Somers
07-02-2014, 2:37 PM
Mike,

Just out of curiosity, what would a used beveler run? Any brands you can suggest looking at? I did a fast search and saw mostly industrial puppies designed for metal and pipe fabrication and prep for welding. I did see a photo a homemade one that was small and looked right for small, individual runs like a desk plate, but am not sure how well it worked.

Jeff,

I do agree with Mike that a router table presents some issues for this kind of work. A typical beveling bit will force you to run the piece face down and risk scratching your surface. I assume when you say name plate you mean the type that sits on someones desk? Roughly 10x2 inches, give or take? That is not too bad in terms of handling on a router table, but much smaller and you start running into issues of safely handling the piece.

You could use a dove tail bit in the table. I have done that for similar sized items since it allowed me to keep the piece face up. I made up a fence that put the cutter at just the distance needed to get the bevel size I wanted, and also had a contoured cut out for the bit that protected me from the protruding wing edges of the dovetail bit. A pusher or jig would further protect your fingers. It would not be an ideal setup though and I would examine my approach very carefully for safety. Fortunately you have lots of fingers so there is plenty of room for mistakes. (grin)

I have also done beveling with a simple straight file. Usually with Formica style products. With a bit of care and practice that can be quite effective. I suspect that is not what you want in this instance?

Jeff Chumbley
07-02-2014, 2:40 PM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. I have an old New Hermes beveler that is in need of help I was just wondering if the router option was any good.

Ross Moshinsky
07-02-2014, 2:43 PM
Buy a cheap CNC router or CNC engraver. I wouldn't want to hand bevel hundreds or thousands of name tags.

Mark Sipes
07-02-2014, 2:52 PM
The beveler I purchased new 18 years ago was a Ryobi router on a stand. I'm sure the manufacturer is no longer in business. The beveler is a work horse, no belts like the New Hermes.. Just power. Model 1080A Desert Research Products.

Mike Null
07-02-2014, 4:08 PM
I bought mine used from a company which was going out of business. They were in Seattle and the machine had the Seattle trademark (rust) but I've had it more than ten years and it has been flawless. New Hermes B-6. I paid $400 but new they're over $1000.

It sounds very similar to a 747 taking off.

http://engraversdepot.ca/Accessories-Machines-Software/beveling-grinding-machines.html

Tony Lenkic
07-02-2014, 4:54 PM
I use my 1625 engraving machine to cut blanks prior to lasering them. I get any shape sqare/rectangle/oval/circle with bevel edge.
Best beveler I've seen is Quality one unit.

Check ebay listing for new hermes beveler.........321131965683

Mark Sipes
07-03-2014, 6:20 PM
Define a large quantity 1,000's ???? Most older New Hermes products are built to last. bevelers, sharpeners, engravers...... with a good motor, belt and sharp cutter... you should have no problem mass producing name tags. By the time the job in the laser is done..... you should be finished bevelling the previous batch.

Bill George
07-03-2014, 6:42 PM
You could use a router table. As to scratching the work piece that would be resting face down on the table, make a moving table like they sometimes use for a table saw. A separate table the work piece rests on and in fact locked too, and that table does the sliding across the actual router table. Yes it would be keyed to actual table miter fence slot.

Robert Tepper
07-03-2014, 11:28 PM
I have an old New Hermes, have had it for 35 years, still works!

Robert

Jeff Chumbley
07-04-2014, 5:51 PM
Thank you all. I have that old New Hermes B4 beveler I will continue to use that for now.

Bill Cunningham
07-12-2014, 8:21 AM
I don't bevel that much anymore, but I used a Dremel bench top router for years. You can cut the the pieces to size, leave the plastic on to protect the face and run them across a 45 bit on the Dremel Router preset to just bevel the edge. Used it for years, and have done thousands. Now I engrave and cut on the laser, If the customer wants it, I can engrave a slight border that looks like a bevel, and usually do them in a 12x25 sheet, engrave then use the laser to score abt. 75% through the plastic and snap the plates out after hoseing them off an applying a surface polish (nufinish)