PDA

View Full Version : Had an interesting evening

Michael McDuffie
07-02-2005, 1:51 AM
On my way home, noticed a guy get out of his car and go around front. It was an 80's junker Caddy so I figured it ran real well.

Heard a thump and some hollering, turned around just in time to watch the car roll over him and drag him about 10 feet. Hung a u-turn and started talking to him best I could since he was screaming that he couldn't breath.

I got him to calm down a bit, found his jack in the trunk and started lifting some of the weight off of him. Ran out of lift on that one and borrowed another from some kids that looked like they wanted to help but didn't know what to do. As if I had a good idea myself.

By this time I'm wondering if anyone has called 911. No, of course not, its more interesting to watch me. Anyhow, some guy gets 911 but doesn't know where he is so now I'm working the jack, talking to the guy under the car and the 911 operator.

About this time a Des Moines police officer pulls up and asks if I need help.

Yes, I do.

I stop lifting as I don't want it to fall back on him and I don't know what kind of injuries he has. The medics show up about now along with the chief in his SUV, two more cop cars, the Medic One and at least one fire truck. Seems they had been told that the car had rolled and that there was someone trapped under it.

Now that the pros have arrived I stepped back a bit and talked to his girl friend, who was understandably freaked out.

I don't know the guy’s name and I didn't leave my number with anyone so I guess that makes me the mysterious stranger.

The cops and medics thanked me, I got a hug from the girl friend and then I continued on home. I’m still a bit shaky but I’m pleased that I was able to react in a calm and constructive manner.

Michael

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 2:09 AM
Wow! You did your Good Samaritan deed for the year. :)

Randy Moore
07-02-2005, 7:30 AM
Michael,:D

I think that puts you in a class as a HERO. Doing something like that to save a man,s life and not telling anyone your name or anything.
A lot of prople would not have stopped to help, afraid that they would get sued if something went wrong. You, and we are too, should be proud of yourself for what you did.
My cell phone has GPS locater on it so they can always find me if I need help.
Again, Michael, GOOD JOB and WELL DONE!

Randy

Ernie Nyvall
07-02-2005, 7:37 AM
Good going Michael.

A few years back I found someone already in that shape. It does take a while for it all to soak in.

Ernie

Tim Morton
07-02-2005, 9:31 AM
good job stranger!!!...just shows you you have to be ready for anything at anytime in life...drive by 60seconds earlier and who knows how it turns out....

John Miliunas
07-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Way to go, Michael!!!:) You may not have just saved the fellow's life, but positively impacted many, many more, including those of us here at SMC! It's an act, such as yours, which validates my theory that people generally are good, though sometimes we need the inspiration to carry out that goodness. I'll bet those involved directly at the scene, as well as those hearing about it, will be more likely to act in such a positive manner the next time they run into a "situation". Thanks for sharing and kudo's to you, Michael!:) :cool:

Rob Littleton
07-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Praise God you were able to help.

You certainly are a humble hero.

Bless you for doing what you did.

Michael McDuffie
07-02-2005, 1:02 PM
This is also a chance to talk about safety.

His car had stalled and he did look a bit put out when he got out. He left the car in drive with the key on and got under the car to jump the starter terminals.

1. Don't work on machinery when angry or tired.

2. Put it in park and set the brake before you get out.

3. I'm sure that there are many other lessons to be learned from this.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Michael

Michael McDuffie
07-02-2005, 1:05 PM
good job stranger!!!...just shows you you have to be ready for anything at anytime in life...drive by 60seconds earlier and who knows how it turns out....

I almost pulled into 7-11 to get lottery tickets, but it didn't feel like the right time to do so. If I had I would have been stuck in the traffic jam and wondered what was up.

Michael

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2005, 5:22 PM
Outstanding!! Great effort under pressure. You did the right thing. Others might have driven on. We are proud of you!!!!

Pete Lamberty
07-02-2005, 9:06 PM
I agree with all of the others. You did a great service to a fellow man. He is so lucky that you turned to look after you heard the thump and the guy yell.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2005, 9:10 PM
Great job Michael. I've been involved with a couple of car wrecks where me and some friends were the first to arrive and had to provide medical assistance and traffic control. It has amazed me how calm you can be at the time it's going down but afterwards I get shaky?........................

John Hart
07-03-2005, 7:38 AM
Michael...Saving a life is one of those things that few people are given the opportunity to do. I'm happy for you to say the least. "My opportunity" years ago ended up with death which is a much different feeling. I'm sure you have the admiration of everyone involved for keeping cool and getting it done.

I salute you.

Vaughn McMillan
07-04-2005, 2:14 AM
Michael, you surely just made a deposit in the "good deeds" bank. Hopefully, you'll never have a need to take out a withdrawal. That you did it anonymously says quite a bit about your character and motivation.

I can understand the shakiness that comes after doing something like that. I felt the same way after saving a little girl from a certain +/-30' fall once at CityWalk at Universal City near Hollywierd. I think it's just the come-down from the adrenaline rush that propels you through the action.

Give yourself an attaboy for sure!

- Vaughn

John Shuk
07-04-2005, 7:51 AM
Looks like the guy you helped got his lottery tickets! Good work!