PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Dinning Room Table Finished (Pics)

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 1:40 AM
Well, even though the thermostat said 106, I still managed to get the table done this afternoon... okay, not exactly done. I still have to spray a finish on it, but we're close enough to be excited. I snapped some pics while it was soaking in the rays after a coat of BLO. I can't recommend this step enough to those who want jump start the aging process. There is no substitute for good ole' uv rays, especially after applying oil.

It's pretty standard construction - mortise and tenon. This was the first time I used square pegs. I did this because I wanted square pegs in the chairs I building as well. They're smaller than I normally use but I watched K. Mehler's video awhile back and he used 1/8" pegs. It's a bit more subtle than the 1/4" peg.

The extenders came from Lee Valley as did the brass lock. I bought brass alignment pins as well, but I didn't end up using them. Perhaps when I build the leaf. I didn't build the leaf yet because of the lack of need. I figure I should use the cherry pile for other more necessary projects.

The one construction item that gave me pause was cutting the frame in half. I was going to cut it on the table saw, but it just didn't feel safe at 56" wide. Instead it was FESTOOL to the rescue. I clamped the frame to the multi-function table and cut it this way. Perfect!!!

The grain matching isn't the best in the world, but I did my best with what I had. Now I'll wait a week or so and get to work on putting the final finish on it.

Thanks for looking.

BTW, the dimensions are just under 60" square.

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 1:46 AM
Two more pics...

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-02-2005, 2:02 AM
That looks awfully nice. :)

You mention cutting the frame in half...

What I do is cut the apron in half before glue up, then clamp it back together for gluing to the legs . This leaves two halves of 'base' that are kind of awkward to work with until you get the top attached, but it does eliminate the pucker factor of cutting it after you have all the work done.

KC

Alan Turner
07-02-2005, 3:15 AM
Nice work indeed, Jason. Just another FWW cameo in your future. How many leaves, and of what width, are on the horizon?

BTW, at this pace, you will start commission work soon, I am thinking.

Norman Hitt
07-02-2005, 4:08 AM
Jason, that Really turned out NICE. I can't wait to see the chairs, and I really liked your little "Details" Underneath the table.

One thing to remember though, is that if you wait very long before making the Leaf, it will probably Not Match the coloring of the rest of the table for a long while because of the head start on the natural ageing/darkening process that the rest of the table will have in relation to the leaf. Also, it may be harder to find a close match to the grain you have in this batch of wood. ('Course, you've probably already thought about all this.) :D

Bill Arnold
07-02-2005, 6:48 AM
Jason,

Great looking table!!! That's my favorite way to kick-start cherry also. Nothing beats a natural finish!

Regards,

Steve Inniss
07-02-2005, 6:53 AM
Jason,
Beautiful table, lovely work and I do like those pins. -Steve

John Renzetti
07-02-2005, 7:30 AM
hi Jason, Very nice job. I like the attention to detail and the signiture and makers mark. Only 106 where you are.
take care,
John

Martin Shupe
07-02-2005, 7:53 AM
Very nice Jason, as usual. Excellent table and nice details. Sure wish I could get in some shop time, maybe tomorrow evening (sigh).

Of course, if I only had to work one day a week, I'd probably get a few more projects done. :D Just kidding, I know my brother worked more than one day a week, and I am sure you do, too.

Only 106? Summer is just starting, wait until it gets to 110! :eek:

I've seen the fires north of Phoenix the last few nights, and they are impressive! I think it will be a rough season.

Again, super job on the table, but I expected as much.

Keith Starosta
07-02-2005, 8:30 AM
Jason, that table is very nice!!! I can't wait to see the chairs.

Now, onto the more pressing question. It would appear by your stamp and signature that "Jason" may not be your first name. C'mon....out with it.... :D

Keith

Jim W. White
07-02-2005, 8:51 AM
That is just some very professional work there Jason! I love your corner braces and the way you fixed the top to the base. The wood selection is also striking.

The level of skill on this board just never stops amazing me.

..Jim in Idaho

Jim Becker
07-02-2005, 9:56 AM
Jason, that's wonderful. Outstanding job!! The little details are also nice highlights, like your mark and those darling corner braces that while normally hidden, have unique character. Bravo!

Corvin Alstot
07-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Beautiful table.
I am sure that the 106 is a dry heat, come to Houston and I will show you hot.

Where did you find the inspiration for the corner brace? Is that an original design or did you find that detail in another table. Very cool.

Sam Blasco
07-02-2005, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Corvin Alstot]Beautiful table.
I am sure that the 106 is a dry heat, come to Houston and I will show you hot.

My shop in Miami was regularly 104 & 90-100% humidity, you want to talk finishing problems.

Great job on the table. In six months it will really look spectacular.

Roy Wall
07-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Jason,

Your table is superb!!! It has a beautiful, sleek look to it via the legs & aprons. Fine craftsmanship in every detail - this is just an excellent piece.

WOW!!!

What are the dimensions & include the future apron...and how many do you hope to seat?

Every meal will certainly be a pleasure.

Thanks for sharing your talent!

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 11:03 AM
KC: It was a bit awkward, but I liked having a solid frame up to this point. The MFT made it a breeze though.

Norman: all good points. I figure I'll use the table as is 99.9% of the time. Which means the leaf sits in a closet and dosen't get any sun. So I figured I have some time. But you're right, I need to make it. I'm just pretty lazy when it comes down to it :p :D

Martin: Yea, yea, yea... :p :D

Keith: My father is "William" so I was always called "Jason" but I am a William. A minor identity crisis in my youth :p :D

Corvin: I saw something like these built by Christian Becksvoort and K. Mehler. I tinkered with the design until I got it right.

Everyone else... thanks for the kind words!

Chris DiCiaccio
07-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Very nice Jason! What great workmanship. I'm sure that is a very rewarding project.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Beautiful job Jason. I like the detail of the rounded leg corner braces among other things. Excellent work! Alan in Md.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Hmm, all the nice joinery is hidden, Jason! Superb job...I'll have to visit it someday.... :)

Russ Massery
07-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Very Nice, love the top too!

Pete Harbin
07-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Outstanding Jason! Nice work all around, subtle details...very Shaker!

I saved a couple of the pics in my "inspiration" folder. :)

Pete

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 2:35 PM
Hmm, all the nice joinery is hidden, Jason! Superb job...I'll have to visit it someday.... :)

Yea, I couldn't figure out how to put thru-dovetails into this one :D :p And it looks even better with medium-rare ribeye on it. If you come down, I'll show you :D

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 2:37 PM
Outstanding Jason! Nice work all around, subtle details...very Shaker!

I saved a couple of the pics in my "inspiration" folder. :)

Pete

Pete, I can send you some pic's of the dimensions if you need them as well. Or I can just send you the CAD files when you're ready to give it a go.

Michael Gabbay
07-02-2005, 3:39 PM
Man I like that alot! Great details on the pegs.

Mike

Chris Barton
07-02-2005, 3:45 PM
Great work! That will be a possesion of pride for many generations to come.

Chris

Dan Forman
07-02-2005, 3:47 PM
Jason---Your table turned out really well. A piece to be proud of.

Dan

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 4:15 PM
Yea, I couldn't figure out how to put thru-dovetails into this one :D :p And it looks even better with medium-rare ribeye on it. If you come down, I'll show you :D

Ah, you know me too well...a nice juicy piece of meat on a nice piece of wood! ;)

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2005, 5:30 PM
Jason, another great result. Your usual high standards... The rest of us envy your attention to detail. Thanks

Corey Hallagan
07-02-2005, 8:25 PM
That is a beautiful piece Jason! VEry nice, thanks for showing!

Corey

JOSEPH GOVEA
07-02-2005, 8:34 PM
Hi Jason, All I can say is wow!!, very beautiful table. I just love to see all the pictures of the beautiful work that is done by all the creekers. :) :)

Jim Benante
07-02-2005, 8:37 PM
Is there a special ink for signing your work so that the BLO doesn't make it run? Will a fine tip sharpee's ink run?

That is some very nice work.

Michael Pfau
07-02-2005, 8:46 PM
Nice Jason,
Nothing like cherry! Keep it in the sun and it will darken in a hurry! I love shaker, very simple. Good job!

Pete Lamberty
07-02-2005, 8:52 PM
Very well done Jason. Absolutely beautiful. Someone mentioned chairs. Are you going to make Shaker chairs to go with it? Great Job!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2005, 8:59 PM
Beautiful table Jason! You continue to hold the bar high for the rest of us SMCers!

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 9:09 PM
Jim: No special ink here. I just used a fine tip sharpie. Give it a couple seconds to dry, and you're good to go.

Pete: Yea, the table was the easy part. Now I have to make at least 8 chairs - a first for me. I don't know how "Shaker" they are going to be. I opted not to do the post and rung construction that they are noted for. It's more of combination of some Thos. Moser and Brian Boggs. We'll see. I have them designed for the most part. But I need to do a test run out of pine before I start cuttin' up the good stuff. Stay tuned...

Everyone else, thanks again for the kind words!

Alan Turner
07-02-2005, 9:18 PM
Jason
I was wondering how you did the square pegs. Did you use a dowel plate, and stop short of the end, and then back it out? Drill a round hole, and then drive it far enough to sink about 1/4" of the square? I have thought about this but not done it, so was wondering abut your approach.

Dennis Fairman
07-02-2005, 9:39 PM
Jason,

Beautiful work all around! That table really looks flat! Great job! As most have commented already, those are some really great corner braces! I would have never thought to add that level of detail there.

I wouldn't be surprised to visit your home and see everyone sitting under the table rather than at it! They'll all be admiring the detail below!

Keith Christopher
07-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Jason,

As always superb workmanship. My hats off to you.

Keith

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Alan: I drilled the whole with an 1/8" bit - I'd recommend a bradpoint so that you don't have any tearout, not that I’d know anything about that :mad: . Seeing as how I didn't have an 1/8" chisel, I ground an old 1/4" down to size. Anyway, I used the chisel to square up the corners for just the first 1/16" or so. Then I cut long strips of walnut by passing the board on edge, and then on face leaving just enough material to hold it on the board so that I could snap it off by hand. Does that make sense? Regardless, I took a utility knife and rounded the first 3/4 of the peg. I hammered home the peg and waited for that distinctive sound that says, "No more hammering!!!" :D Trim it flush… bla, bla, bla. You know the rest. It's a bit more work, but it gives it a nice look. I don't know what I like better, square or round, but the square pegs look nice on this application.

Bill Simmeth
07-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Jason, I'll add my kudos on a well done piece. Did I see you have a CAD drawing you're willing to share? I'd love to study the details if you are. TIA.

Jason Tuinstra
07-03-2005, 1:01 AM
Jason, I'll add my kudos on a well done piece. Did I see you have a CAD drawing you're willing to share? I'd love to study the details if you are. TIA.

No problem Bill. Send me a private message with your email, and I'll get it over to you some time tomorrow. Thanks.