PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tub Staves Router Profile

Jan Bianchi
07-01-2014, 9:59 PM
I am building a cedar hot tub. I bought two router bits from Amana to make the profile on the staves. One is a core box bit with a 5/8" radius, and the other is a bullnose bit with a 5/8" radius. I am concerned that the profiles do not exactly match. When fitted against each other so that the two are touching at the crown, the core box profile is slightly larger than the bull nose, on both sides about 1/32". See picture. This essentially makes a large canoe joint. I thought the fit would be perfect, but it is not.

The cedar is kiln dried. I know it will swell when filled with water, but will it swell enough to close that space? If not, is there another bit I should be using? The wood with the bullnose profile is a piece of scrap. The wood with the core box profile is the cedar I'm using.

Peter Quinn
07-01-2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5076-matched-bead-router-bits.aspx

No reason to believe that a separate core box and bullnose are accurate enough to match for joinery. Matched set made for joinery may work better.

Jan Bianchi
07-01-2014, 10:42 PM
I bought these from Toolstoday, but after they had referred me to the Amana technician. I looked at the matched bead sets, but I couldn't find one that had a large enough radius. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Peter Quinn
07-02-2014, 8:32 PM
My mistake, the one I linked is half the size you need, radius, diameter....whats the difference?:rolleyes: Definitely worth giving them a call, perhaps check with whiteside too, explain your requirements, perhaps they can ensure a matched set in separates? Don't think they are going to make a router bit that big as a single!