PDA

View Full Version : Still getting used to this old lathe

steven c newman
07-01-2014, 8:02 PM
Had a blank to molest. First off, I only needed half of it. Circular saw cut all but the last 1/4" of the way through it, hand sawed the rest, wound up with two of these292264 Spalted..Maple???:confused: Green stripes. Other half went onto the lathe, after I drug it out from the stowage area, again. Attached it done to the bench so it wouldn't walk away. Marked the centers, and a narrow nail set to start a hole. Drive spur drove on, dead center was moved into it's place. Still was looking around for an old mallet....ah, AFTER turning the blank round, found the old mallet sitting buried under some stuff. It's grip was a might too scrawny for my hands to hold onto. So a fatter handle was turned. Sanded the new mallet down, parted off a stub on the head end. Sanded the head end smooth, added an oil finish292265The old mallet is laying down on the job:D let the mallet dry in the setting sun292266Grain started to show up a little better. There is an old saw plate laying there, waiting to get a clean up. Well, not too bad for a rookie? FIRST Mallet I have ever turned..:eek: