PDA

View Full Version : Miller Falls Miter Table - Unknown saw???

Doug Hobkirk
06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
I bought this table and saw about 15-20 years ago. Garage Sale, $25. I didn't have any particular plan or use for it, it was just so very impressive. I tried hard for $20, but relented because the seller said he had just paid more than that to have it sharpened. It has been taking up a lot of space in my basement ever since.

Now we have the internet, there's eBay, I still have no use for it, and I am drowning in "stuff." So I want to sell it. Checking eBay for these that have sold in the past, almost all of them specify the saw is a Disston. But mine has no markings and the bolts have no markings.

Any suggestions? Including, should I scour the blade? Do the teeth look like they were sharpened?

292226 292227 292228 292229 292230 292231

I expected the tooth count would be very high - the teeth seem very small. I didn't think 10 TPI was fine-toothed.

Thanks.

Jim Matthews
07-01-2014, 7:26 AM
It looks like most of these.

Clean as the day after Father's day, when Grampa put it in the basement.
I would wager that those are the factory ground teeth.

If you do two things with this, it will outperform any benchhook or miter saw (particularly on small, fine pieces).

Permanently fix it to a baseboard that you can clamp to your bench.

Use small F or spring clamps to affix stop blocks to hold the workpiece down while sawing.

For the amount of money you spent, a little tune up will reveal how fine a tool this really is.

PS - Keep the parts that move lightly lubricated and brush off sawdust before storage.

Tom M King
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
That was the saw that came with it in the late '60s and into the '70s. I used one for twenty years trimming out houses I built before anyone made a power miter saw that I liked. I still have it too, but it hasn't been used in a couple of decades.