PDA

View Full Version : Wixey WR550 Digital Readout on Grizzley G6034 Jointer / Planer

Richard Voliban
06-30-2014, 8:32 PM
I could not find anything here on mounting a Wixey WR 550 on the Grizzly G6034 Jointer / Planer. This installation to assist others. I hope I have not duplicated something I missed.

I made up a Z-bracket out of 3/8" steel stock to mount to the side of the planer table and attached it with four 1/4-20 bolts to the table. I welded the Wixey adapter bracket to the Z-bracket to allow rotational adjustment. This setup holds the Wixey scale which moves up and down with the table. The sensor is mounted to the machine frame with 1/4-28 bolts tapped into the ~ 1/8-inch thick material.

It looked pretty vulnerable, so I made up a cover that protects most of it and allows change from jointing to planing mode. The cover took more time than the install.

One thing I'd change is move the whole Wixey assembly more to the right on the machine. As it is, I was lucky to get the connector into the sensor with the cover installed.

Because there is approximately 0.010-inch motion caused by locking the Grizzley table for planing, it's pretty tricky to get set so that the display reflects the thickness, but it is repeatable. My solution for this is to have the display show a few thousandths less than the finished material will be to avoid over cutting.