PDA

View Full Version : Help get my project back on track...

bradley lewis
06-30-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm building cabinets for my shop. I'm going from Tom Clark's "Practical Shop Cabinets" book. On the first cabinet I made the center vertical face frame 1/4" over sized by mistake. I plan to mount full extension drawers. I'm looking for advice on how to fix the issue. Some of my ideas would be to flush trim with a router and spacers, shim the slides with wood or washers, or pull the face frame off and replace :(. Would love to hear from some advice from you all. Thanks!

Matt Meiser
06-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Just plane some stock that thickness and glue/nail in place. Make sure to adjust your drawer sizes though.

Michael Heffernan
06-30-2014, 10:57 AM
If you haven't already built the drawers, pad out the slide stretchers flush to the face frame with 1/4" material and dimension the drawers off the opening (minus 1/2" for each side to account for the slides).
If the drawers are done, and the face frame is just tacked on, remove it and trim the stiles (side frames) down 1/4" and reattach.
If they are glued on, you may be able to knock them off and trim the side frames. If not, build out a straight edge fence and rout them down.
Good luck.

John Huds0n
06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Buy some 1/4" hardboard (it is also good for door panels) and cut to size

Lee Schierer
06-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I would take some pieces of the plywood you used for the drawer runners and use double sided tape to hold it in place behind the face frame in between each of your drawer runners and use a router with a flush trim bit to remove the 1/4 inch of excess. Then clean up the corners with a flush cutting saw or a wood chisel. Once your face frame is trimmed, remove the filler pieces and finish your cabinet.

John Schweikert
06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Shims. I've had to do it and works just fine. The screws for the drawer slides will add extra holding to the glued or nailed in shims.

Pat Barry
06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
I agree with the shim method. That will keep your face frame intact and proportioned as you wanted it to be

bradley lewis
06-30-2014, 2:02 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll post an update with the direction I go.

George Bokros
06-30-2014, 2:19 PM
Just plane some stock that thickness and glue/nail in place. Make sure to adjust your drawer sizes though.

Ditto

George

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2014, 3:17 PM
I'm building cabinets for my shop
Shims are fine for shop cabinets.
It's not like shop cabinets are going to be heirlooms or anything right?
Even on the off chance they do turn out to be heirlooms, then, the shims will add character to them and be a conversation point!