PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2014, 9:01 AM
30 Jun 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
My internet service has been out since Friday afternoon, so I'm writing this to you today teathered to my cell phone. :)

The construction project continues. I should be ready for drywall by Wednesday of this week. I'm hoping for the electrical service cutover by the end of next week. We've been having so much rain and so many storms here that the weather has caused us to really take a beating on getting real work done on the overall project. I'm very hopeful for good weather for the next 2 weeks so I can get some serious work done on the exterior of the addition.

I'm frustrated with non-responsive sub-contractors, water, mud, rain, and people that complain that this is costing a lot of money. I'm working as much as I possibly can to save my MIL money, but the LOML and her mom are having to learn a hard lesson in building construction....it costs money and a lot of it. :)

Ok, my rant mode is off now....that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Weaver
06-30-2014, 9:15 AM
In between dodging the wife and kids, I finished making a plane and dumped the results in the HT forum here. Supposed to be working on kitchen cabinets, but, well, who wants to make kitchen cabinets when you can make planes?

Todd Henry
06-30-2014, 9:17 AM
Well, I'm a bachelor for two weeks while my family is away, so....

1. Tore apart and regrouted and recaulked the master bath shower
2. Recaulked a bathtub and scrubbed all grout on the floor tile in the bathrom
3. Put down a finish coat of Behlen Rockhard on the breakfast table. Still have to steel wool and polish, but I will let it sit for a week before doing so
4. Built a quick and dirty dust hood over the miter saw station. Works just kind of OK. My DC just doesn't pull enough vacuum to draw from an open port like that. Maybe if I disconnected from the separator can it would work better for the Miter Saw
5. Milled some stock and routed rails and stiles for a friends cabinet doors.

Overall a fun weekend.

Todd in Atlanta

Jak Kelly
06-30-2014, 10:45 AM
I worked on the daughters' car. She will be 17 in a few months, we got her a first car about 8 months ago. During that time she has managed a few "oopsy's" on the front end of her car. Luckily it has been things like posts, concrete barriers......and not another car! The wife found a site on E-Bay called "paint a part" or something, so we were able to order a new front bumper cover for her car, under $300 shipped and painted to factory color. So that was a fairly inexpensive fix, but it took most of my Saturday taking "humpty-dumpty" apart and putting it back together again. So if anyone else is feeling the "experiences" of a teenage driver, you might give E-Bay a shot, I may list my kid on there if we have to order any more parts!!!!!

Doug Richardson
06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Spent the weekend staining and finishing about 40 pieces of door casing. Glad this only has to be done once in my lifetime..... ;-)

Mike Olson
06-30-2014, 2:13 PM
with the 85+ degree weather and 70 - 100% humidity all weekend I didn't get much done besides sitting in front of the TV with a fan on me. Central AC doesn't work very well.

I don't know how the people in the south deal with this. I'm looking forward to the snow again.

Shawn Pixley
06-30-2014, 2:48 PM
Simple weekend here. I walked the dog. I watched a couple of the world cup games while sharpening some tools / blades. i realize that I need a coarser sharpening medium to repair some edges that we chipped when chopping some very hard ebony. I tried to source a 1/2" carbide drill bit for a couple of hammers LOML & I are making. And worked on my large jewelry box project.

For the project, I needed to overcome a couple of small mistakes on a complicated portion of the project. All in all I ovrecame the mistakes well. And that part is complete until I cast the "hasp fasteners." Most of the next portions are relatively simple until I get to some of the inlay. The shop was very hot by our local beach standards. It was about 80 degrees F with 75% humidity. The garage is a good deal warmer given the water heater, tool heal and my exertions. You realize it is hot with the sweat dripping onto your workpiece and having to constantly wipe that away.

Bill McNiel
06-30-2014, 8:48 PM
This was a fairly expensive weekend.

Friday - Played really bad golf = lose $. Neighbor and friends for wine and dinner on the deck. Went deep into the cellar (much more $)

Sat - Finally finished and installed the 100 year old fir counters comission so back to work on the "V" table. 34 yr old Bosch jig saw died (didn't just crap out, it burned up, smoke and all) so off to Woodcraft to buy a Carvex replacement (not free, big $$). Why don't my tools give advance warning of their impending departure so I can buy online and save some money (at least State Sales Tax)?

Sunday - another poor attempt to advance the little white ball and back in the shop yeilding little progress so I gave in and called it a day. Then my loving daughter called for a loan (more $).

I almoast stayed in bed today.

Jim Becker
06-30-2014, 9:56 PM
Finished up my personal tack trunk....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?219190-Project-Yet-another-tack-trunk

And enjoyed the usual equestrian activities before jetting off to Minneapolis for some business meetings.