PDA

View Full Version : Guess What is Under the Plastic

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2014, 7:21 AM
A new toy!! I'm happier about it than I look. :D I won't keep you in suspense, it's part of our new water jet!

Raymond Fries
06-30-2014, 8:57 AM
Very nice...

Looks like it might be a very fun and wet 4th of July.

David Weaver
06-30-2014, 9:02 AM
Looks like machinery, but those of us who use mostly hand tools never look at stuff that big and complicated to tell what it is!

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2014, 9:31 AM

Out of the plastic. We won't be up and running for a couple of weeks.

Jamie Buxton
06-30-2014, 9:47 AM
What are you going to cut with your new toy? I think you're in the stone countertop biz, right? So are you going to cut slab stone? Every time I've been near a stone shop, they've been using diamond-tipped circular saws, mounted on a big gantry above the slab.

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
What are you going to cut with your new toy? I think you're in the stone countertop biz, right? So are you going to cut slab stone? Every time I've been near a stone shop, they've been using diamond-tipped circular saws, mounted on a big gantry above the slab.

Yes, we will be cutting stone and quartz surfacing slabs with the water jet. We also use bridge saws, but for intricate shapes the water jet is the way to go. We work with the yachting and aviation industries. Countertops for aviation have a sink cover. When using heavily veined materials the water jet allows the material cut out for the sink opening to be used for the cover so that cover and countertop veining have the same flow. That can't be done with a blade.

ray hampton
06-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I know that this machine will cut a straight line BUT will it cut a circle or other shapes

Dave Anderson NH
06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
OK Belinda, which brand and what work piece size, and which maximum pressure?

Bruce Page
06-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Wow! That is a big one. They had a smaller one where I worked, very cool machine but it was LOUD!

Joe Tilson
06-30-2014, 1:36 PM
Belinda, Can we come over and get some parts made up?:D

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2014, 2:17 PM
I know that this machine will cut a straight line BUT will it cut a circle or other shapes

It will cut any shape.

OK Belinda, which brand and what work piece size, and which maximum pressure?

Flow is the brand, the bed is 7' x 13', 60,000 PSI.

Wow! That is a big one. They had a smaller one where I worked, very cool machine but it was LOUD!

We'll find out but it can't be much louder than a bridge saw (I hope)

Belinda, Can we come over and get some parts made up?:D

You certainly can!

ray hampton
06-30-2014, 2:34 PM
It will cut any shape.

Flow is the brand, the bed is 7' x 13', 60,000 PSI.

We'll find out but it can't be much louder than a bridge saw (I hope)

You certainly can!

can this machine operator control or set the width of the cut

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2014, 2:52 PM
can this machine operator control or set the width of the cut

You can change the nozzle to change the width of the cut.

Dave Anderson NH
06-30-2014, 3:46 PM
Sounds great Belinda. I'm familiar with Flow's machines. Just be prepared for the rebuilds of the pumps and keep plenty of those expensive spare nozzles on hand. Note that the worn out nozzles should be saved. They make great shafts for card scraper burnishers.