PDA

View Full Version : What happened to HNT Gordon?!

Grant Gardner
06-30-2014, 1:08 AM
I just made up my mind to purchase some HNT spokeshaves & I was dumbfounded when I tried to go to the website, no longer available!

Did something happen I'm not aware of? I would hate to find out Terry is no longer making/selling his amazing tools. Someone please tell me this is not the case.

Glenn Rutkowski
06-30-2014, 1:15 AM
...still there...great gear...HNT (http://www.hntgordon.com.au/)

Paul Crowe
06-30-2014, 6:27 AM
I just made up my mind to purchase some HNT spokeshaves & I was dumbfounded when I tried to go to the website, no longer available!

Did something happen I'm not aware of? I would hate to find out Terry is no longer making/selling his amazing tools. Someone please tell me this is not the case.

Here is Terry Gordon very much alive at the Sydney, Australia Timber and woodworking show this past weekend.292188

Derek Cohen
06-30-2014, 6:59 AM
... and about 6 weeks ago, Terry had the booth next to mine at the Perth LN Hand Tool Event. Very much alive and well ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/TerryGordon1_zpsefab3f06.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pat Barry
06-30-2014, 7:41 AM

First post. What happened to HNT Gordon? Kind of a marketing campaign?

Curt Harms
06-30-2014, 7:47 AM
...still there...great gear...HNT (http://www.hntgordon.com.au/)

It seems like there's something ..... peculiar with that web site. I get a 403 error for the largest portion of the screen but there's a ribbon or panel at the top showing online tool store, newsletter subscribe, using hand tools, contact us and free-color-catalogue. Click on any of the icons returns the 403 error. I tried it with Firefox and Opera.

Jim Matthews
06-30-2014, 7:48 AM
The Website is down.

I've seen adverts on the auction site.
I wonder if he's migrating his online store?

Brett Gregory
06-30-2014, 8:24 AM
http://www.hntgordon.com.au/
works for me, but another person in the USA couldn't use that link.

Brian Holcombe
06-30-2014, 8:34 AM
I spoke with Terry in regard to this over the weekend, he has his web designer on it. He said to email him directly to make purchases in the interim.

Grant Gardner
06-30-2014, 9:40 AM
I'm in the US and get an error page when using the link provided. Glad to hear it is just a tech problem!
Thanks guys.

Simon MacGowen
06-30-2014, 6:19 PM
First post. What happened to HNT Gordon? Kind of a marketing campaign?

With no track record to follow, hard to tell one way or the other.

The benefit of the doubt goes to the commercial business.

Simon

glenn bradley
06-30-2014, 7:14 PM
The website is having issues from some sources (including mine in the U.S.). I remember when most people didn't know what a website was. Now one blinks for a few hours and we assume the worst ;-)

Grant Gardner
06-30-2014, 7:53 PM

Simon

I'm not sure what you meant by this, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. Nevertheless, I was very frustrated for several days of not being able to access the HNT site, a lot of Google searching provided me with no answers of why the website was gone, so I figured someone on here must know what was up. Not sure if I broke any forum rules, correct me if I'm wrong, & it was definitely not an intentional plug.

Steve Voigt
06-30-2014, 8:26 PM

Simon

If you read the thread, you would see that a number of people, INCLUDING TERRY GORDON, have acknowledged a problem with the website, so maybe the benefit of the doubt should go to the poor guy who made his first post and got falsely accused.

Grant Gardner, welcome to the forum. Ther are a lot of great and knowledgable people here. I hope you won't let a couple inappropriate posts keep you from coming back.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Folks,

Let's lighten up.

Simon is merely suggesting that you don't overreact when you have a problem with a website. Give the business a benefit of a doubt before you begin suggesting the business is nefarious or going out of business just because the website is having problems. The internet is the biggest source of misinformation in our world.

Pat isn't accusing anybody of anything. He does inquire if it's a marketing strategy but I suspect that is tongue-in-cheek.

Come on people. Lighten up.

I see no reason for anybody to be offended.

Brian Holcombe
06-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Proposed new rules to participate in this thread; two drink minimum.

Grant Gardner
07-01-2014, 1:32 PM
Folks,

Let's lighten up.

Simon is merely suggesting that you don't overreact when you have a problem with a website. Give the business a benefit of a doubt before you begin suggesting the business is nefarious or going out of business just because the website is having problems. The internet is the biggest source of misinformation in our world.

Pat isn't accusing anybody of anything. He does inquire if it's a marketing strategy but I suspect that is tongue-in-cheek.

Come on people. Lighten up.

I see no reason for anybody to be offended.

Lightened & enlightened;-)

Frederick Skelly
07-01-2014, 9:09 PM
Welcome Grant! Im glad you've joined us.

From everything I've heard and read, Terry Gordon builds great stuff. I know Derek Cohen (also an Aussie and extremely talented) has sung HNT's praises in a number of posts. When I get skilled enough to warrant tools in that price range, I'd like to see for myself. So when the website comes back up and you place/receive your order, it would be great if you'd post a brief review here!

Take care,
Fred

Mike Holbrook
07-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Hi Grant,

Welcome to The Creek!
I thought maybe HNT Gordon had retired a ways back when my local store, Highland Woodworking, stopped carrying things they use to carry. I also discovered Craftsman Studio in California, who use to offer many of Terry's planes, only had old stock. As I understand it the shipping from Australia is quite high. Maybe shipping costs made HNT Gordon prices high here in the US causing some of the stores that use to carry Terry's planes to stop carrying them.

I was interested in Terry's planes too but could not find them in the US so I tried a few other routes.

Pat Barry
07-02-2014, 7:50 AM

Take a peek again this morning Grant. You will be happy to see the website is back up and running.

Both of the links previously posted in this thread work for me

Shawn Pixley
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Sorry, the site is not up for me yet. Maybe it is sleeping in?

Tom Stenzel
07-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Still get a 403 error too. I'm going to blame the NSA, it's a plot to keep us Yanks from getting quality planes.

Just to keep the Where's Waldo tone going ;-)

-Tom

Stephen Musial
07-02-2014, 1:06 PM
Maybe they got caught up in Microsoft's heavy hand http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-no-ip-malware-hunt,news-19087.html

Pat Barry
07-02-2014, 1:43 PM
Well its still working for me. Here's a snapshot of the new splash page:
Now I feel like I'm the one pimping the site. LOL

Grant Gardner
07-02-2014, 5:22 PM
Well its still working for me. Here's a snapshot of the new splash page:
Now I feel like I'm the one pimping the site. LOL

I'm not sure what the deal is. It was hypothesized that the site problems were a regional thing, but I still get the 403 error and I live in Minneapolis and it works for you in St. Paul. Strange.

Dave Lehnert
07-02-2014, 5:50 PM
Not working for me.

Frederick Skelly
07-02-2014, 9:40 PM
Took a bit to load, but it worked for me. Am I in the right place? www.hntgordon.com.au/

Jim Koepke
07-03-2014, 1:33 AM
Took a bit to load, but it worked for me. Am I in the right place? www.hntgordon.com.au/

That worked for me. The others haven't since the start of this thread.

jtk

Mike Cozad
07-03-2014, 6:46 AM
Works fine on android with Google chrome. ... I was stunned by the amazing work he puts into his planes. Incredible stuff...

Zach Dillinger
07-03-2014, 8:19 AM
I got a 403 error as late as noon yesterday, but it seems to be working now. Windows 7 / Google Chrome

Curt Harms
07-03-2014, 8:59 AM
Working properly here. Firefox and Opera on Verizon FiOS.

Shawn Pixley
07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Finally worked for me at midnight PDT last night.