PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraved Rhodium Success!

Mitchell Tutty
06-29-2014, 8:37 PM
We're in the midst of doing a job for one of our favorite clients who does some pretty unique trophies and what not.
We were making the timber bases, along with another piece of timber to sit on top of the award.

He was talking about how he had been getting his metalsmith to engrave the awards for him in previous years, but was not happy with the results he was getting on rhodium using a rotary engraver. So he brought one in that he had wrecked in a previous year. They're rhodium plated brass awards. And he wanted me to have a try engraving it, which didn't concern me too much until he told me it had to be exactly like the years previous, font styles at all using the 3-line roman font, and Times New Roman was NOT a suitable substitute. I'd never heard of anybody using the 3-line roman font on a laser before. Searched sawmill first, nothing. Tried google next, still nothing. This font was incredibly hard to find on the net, was no way of purchasing it without spending hundreds of dollars on software.
So I pulled out my 15 year old CD that came with my original CNC router that was burnt in our first factory fire nearly 10 years ago.
And you guessed it there it is, along with 2-line and 4-line the illustrious 3-line roman was there.
So I pulled it out, drew it in corel, and converted it all to vector lines. Coated the rhodium using a molybdenum disulfide disulfide lubricant. (Not the dry moly lube as I could not find a vendor here in Australia)

I then vector engraved it at 1% speed, 100% power using a 60w Epilog Fusion and washed it off.
I have attached some photo's of the finished result.
I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out, at close inspection I would never have guessed it was done with a laser. Looks like it's been done with a rotary, you can even feel the depth. But with the same high contrast etch that a yag laser has.
Client was very happy as well, just won the engraving for this job!
Wrapped!

Mike Null
06-30-2014, 6:09 AM
Very nice work. Do you think you could have rastered it at a higher speed or have you tried that? I use Cermark but have trouble with high gloss items. I do some nickel plated brass which has the same appearance as your rhodium but I have to use a diamond then oxidize it.

Dan Hintz
06-30-2014, 7:23 AM
Do you think you could have rastered it at a higher speed or have you tried that?

My comment was going to be "You could probably get away with a lot more speed..."

Mitchell Tutty
06-30-2014, 6:47 PM
I've altered the setting to vector at 3 speed, 100 power. This is probably my optimal at the quality to time ratio. I rastered and vectored at higher speeds but the very minimal depth I achieved became obsolete after about 4 or 5 speed, which is something my client wanted to keep. This isn't a job where there is going to be hundreds and hundreds, but a job that is to be of high quality, and still good money. I'm quite pleased.

Very nice work. Do you think you could have rastered it at a higher speed or have you tried that? I use Cermark but have trouble with high gloss items. I do some nickel plated brass which has the same appearance as your rhodium but I have to use a diamond then oxidize it.

Also, that's my main issue with cermark. Anything glossy what so ever, like a brushed stainless. My cermark is simply not up to scratch. I get a far better result with the molybdenum disulfide lubricant. Odd.