PDA

View Full Version : ? Sealing Snap lock duct

JOSEPH GOVEA
07-01-2005, 3:06 PM
Hi everyone! Haven't posted in awhile been busy setting up shop. I just installed my snap lock duct work for my cyclone system. I want to know what everyone uses to seal the duct work? your input is greatly appreciated.:)

Maurice Ungaro
07-01-2005, 3:10 PM
Duct tape?

mike malone
07-01-2005, 3:18 PM
...what Maurice said.
mike

Bart Leetch
07-01-2005, 3:22 PM
Duct tape ... what Maurice said. :D :D :D

JOSEPH GOVEA
07-01-2005, 3:32 PM
I always wondered why they call it duct tape & not grey tape:rolleyes: Thanks guys:)

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 3:56 PM
Don't use "duct tape"...use foil tape designed for the purpose. The former will peel off quite easily over time. The foil doesn't, seals better and adds ridgid strength to the joint. In fact, I didn't bother with pop rivets on any joints that are away from stress-points...'just used the tape. While I also used it on the adjustable elbows, duct sealant can also be used for that purpose. Don't use screws...they project too far into the air stream and can catch material...and I say that knowing that many duct sources say it's ok.

Larry Browning
07-01-2005, 4:00 PM
Can he use silicone caulk?

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 4:02 PM
Can he use silicone caulk?

You can, but I don't like that stuff anywhere near my shop. Duct sealent/mastic is designed for the job. Be sure that the duct is absolutely clean before you try to use caulk/sealant/mastic as the oils on the duct from manufacture will interfere with it staying in place. The foil tape is better in that respect, but still benefits from a good cleaning first.

JOSEPH GOVEA
07-01-2005, 4:42 PM
Thank you jim I believe that I can pick up alum foil tape at any home depot or lowes. Again Thanks to everone.

Jim Becker
07-01-2005, 6:09 PM
Joe, look for the heavier foil tape...the 'borg often only has the thinner stuff. If you can't get it there, any HVAC supply will have it.

Kyle Stiefel
07-01-2005, 6:35 PM
The foil tape as the others have stated. Something I also did in with the thought process that I might move someday was to assemble the whole ducting system so that it could be taken apart without damage. I did this by wrapping all the joints with plastic wrap (similar to what you wrap crates of product with) followed by the foil tape. The rational was the plastic wrap would suck into the joints and elbows with the foil tape adding the rigidity. My whole system now can can be can be taken apart if need be with no rivets or screws anywhere. From there I just used plumbers tape to secure the ducting to the walls and suspend from the ceiling. Just a different way to accomplish your task.

Bill Turpin
07-01-2005, 9:19 PM
Grey duct tape used to contain a mild acid in the mastic which chemically reacted with the galvinizing and made a bond that did not come off. Since the "only two tools in the toolbox mantra got started" the acid has probably been removed for general use. Duct tape used to etch window glass. Two tool mantra: If it moves and shouldn't use duct tape. If if doesn't move and should, use WD40. These two tools fix 98% of all home problems. :)

Foil tape should be pressed (burnished) over it's entire surface for a good bond. Use a flexible plastic spatula, bondo spreader, etc. for this task. The edges of tape are sharp and give nasty little finger nicks similiar to a paper cut.

Sidenote: For any one involved with theatre set construction. Foil tape is a wonderful simulator/repairer of chrome. It will patch rusted holes in chrome bumpers on antique cars.

Bill in WNC mountains

Bill Fields
07-02-2005, 2:40 AM
Based on the always valuable input from Creekers above, I will re-try foil tape.

It was very disappointing in strength and adherance , but I bought it at the local borg. Probably light duty.

I agree with comments about duct tape--great for some apps, but try to remove it later??

BILL FIELDS

Jim Becker
07-02-2005, 9:34 AM
When you use any kind of tape for this, you need to clean the duct before you stick it on, especially with metal duct as there are oils and lubricants used during manufacture.

As to removal, if you think "duct tape" is sometimes hard to get off...foil tape will make you have even more fun! When it's stuck propertly, it's nearly impossible to remove.

Steven Wilson
07-02-2005, 5:49 PM
My snaplock didn't need sealing along the duct, it needed sealing at the fittings. I used silicon calk or duct mastic for the purpose. I tested the entire piping run with smoke to find any leaks.